88 C1500 5.7L white smoke in exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that sludge is probably because of how little the past owner drove the truck. The oil probably wasnt changed twice a year.
Ive always been told to change it in the spring and fall if you dont hit the mileage number you need.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I have the same colors but reversed.... I needed a valve job back in 2000. I had 120,000 on it. I decided to get a 4-bolt main crate motor for a couple hundred more cost than a couple heads replaced / labor. I now have 392,000.
.... your "white smoke"..... Head gasket ?????

You must be registered for see images attach

ericinga

Reaction score
I have the same colors but reversed.... I needed a valve job back in 2000. I had 120,000 on it. I decided to get a 4-bolt main crate motor for a couple hundred more cost than a couple heads replaced / labor. I now have 392,000.

You must be registered for see images attach
I may replace the engine if the intake gaskets don't solve the problem. The gaskets came with the truck. No cost in the replacement other than time and fluids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ericinga

Reaction score
So, new intake gaskets did not solve white smoke problem. Smoke smells acrid / acidic. So it's not antifreeze. Noticed the transmission is shifting late.......engine seems to stay engage in gears longer than normal and then shifts hard to the next gear. Acts like my Duramax in trailer mode only harder shifting. Think the transmission vacuum modulator may be failing and sucking fluid into the intake. Will replace it tonight and see. If that's it, I'll count myself fortunate to have a great truck after a little effort. Will likely change the IAC since it is full of carbon.

ericinga

Reaction score
So, new intake gaskets did not solve white smoke problem. Smoke smells acrid / acidic. So it's not antifreeze. Noticed the transmission is shifting late.......engine seems to stay engage in gears longer than normal and then shifts hard to the next gear. Acts like my Duramax in trailer mode only harder shifting. Think the transmission vacuum modulator may be failing and sucking fluid into the intake. Will replace it tonight and see. If that's it, I'll count myself fortunate to have a great truck after a little effort. Will likely change the IAC since it is full of carbon.
Changed the IAC and rebuilt the TBI. All issues related to the white smoke seem to be gone. Replacing the EGR valve this weekend.

Only issue remaining is a little blue smoke at start up in the morning. Probably worn out valve seals. It's a 30 year old truck problem that will be solved later this year with a head rebuild.

As of now, I drive it 90 miles every day and it gets 13 MPG. Not bad for a $2K truck. Glad I gambled and bought it sight unseen.

Thanks for all of the advice.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to have that truck. Love me some tutone brownage. Tutone in general is awesome but something about the brown or the red & white that gets me.

Edit1:Oh and the factory steel wheels with those trim rings & hub caps make the look too. Not sure they offered the same thing for those of us with 4x4 though. I'd have swapped my factory aluminum wheels for that look already if I could. I don't like the look of my 6 lugs...

Edit2:The more I look at that truck the more I want it, especially if it's got brown/beige interior with power everything and the cargo light. I wish it was a 5 speed but that's ok in this trucks case. If you go to sell it, keep me in mind haha. Just not now, I am broke since I have to put a roof on my house...

Last edited:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as you, besides the fact that my transmission seems to shift perfectly fine. I recently changed the oil and didn't see any indication of a blown head gasket. Might try a compression test next. I'd also like to swap from TBI to carb within the future though, so replacing intake gaskets is a given and it should eliminate the IAC completely. Nice looking truck! Ever thought about starting a build thread for it's future?

ericinga

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as you, besides the fact that my transmission seems to shift perfectly fine. I recently changed the oil and didn't see any indication of a blown head gasket. Might try a compression test next. I'd also like to swap from TBI to carb within the future though, so replacing intake gaskets is a given and it should eliminate the IAC completely. Nice looking truck! Ever thought about starting a build thread for it's future?
I plan to drive it daily and keep it mostly stock. I like the unmolested look.

FWIW - You should keep the TBI. The TBI rebuild is $30 and takes an hour. You can get a lot of performance out of the TBI with very little cost. A performance chip is $100ish. Very cheap. The carb swap will work and give you performance but the same can be had from TBI. Just one man's opinion.

The previous owner gave me the intake gasket set. If I were buying the parts, I would have gone down to the heads, had them rebuilt, installed new lifters, etc. I'm fairly certain the valves are leaking and causing the compression drop. Instead of heads, I put the money into tires. Heads will happen in a few months. If I can find a decent set of TBI heads, i might buy them and get 'em rebuilt. That way, I can be in and out of the engine in a day.