454 low fuel pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renncredible

Reaction score
Are you confident the gauge you are using is accurate? Don't assume that just because a part is new that it was correctly manufactured or correctly labeled.Did you inspect/replace the tiny bit of vacuum hose that runs the regulator?
I have no way of knowing if this gauge is accurate. And I never tested my pressure when the truck was running great which was right up until after I hauled a car halfway across the country last august. It was then I started getting lean codes and it does this bucking thing when Im in overdrive like someone is tapping the brakes every half second

Renncredible

Reaction score
Wish i could remember what FPR i ended up going with that ended up having the right pressure. I also have a new fuel filter.
My new fuel pump will jump to over 85PSI with the return line pinched almost immediately.

From memory.
When i turn the key on without the line pinched and not running the fuel pressure reads 58PSI and does not bleed off after a hour with key off.
If i rev it up FP jumps to over 60PSI for a second or so.
Just idling it is 56PSI.

For me if i pinched the return line and it only went to 75PSI i would suspect a weak pump but before i replaced it i would make sure it is getting 13V or more running.
Seems like mine was 13.8V running with headlights/heater on.
If low voltage find the problem and fix it.
If good voltage i would replace the fuel pump but im a part's changer.
Once i knew the pump was working properly and still low pressure then i would move to the FRP.
I ended up trying 4 or 5 different new FPR's until i got a good new one. Some advertise the proper pressure but were not and only had the pressure you have listed.
There will be a bunch listed as the correct one but the problem is all the listed ones do fit but are not the proper pressure. Buyer beware.
Im no expert at anything and i know nothing about everything just relating my experience with low fuel pressure problem.
Today I got the multimeter and tested the pump. I have minimal electrical knowledge so bear with me. Key on at the pump meter says 5 volts. I have one lead on the ground and those 5 volts from one of the leads on the harness. Cleaned the ground no change. Follow it back to a connector under the hood and find the same 5.05 volts. I jump the fuel pump relay and now I have 12 volts but from a different lead on the harness so I suspected bad relay. Got a new one on there and no change. Can only find 5 volts at any time without jumping the relay. Everything I can see from the fuse box looks solid, connections are good. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not an electrical genius either.
Are you sure you're on the power wire?
5V is usually a sensor reference voltage.
Also i think it needs to be running to get accurate measurement.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump MUST be running to get a proper voltage or amperage measurement.

Key-on, pump runs for two seconds, (prime) then shuts off unless the ECM is getting an RPM signal.

Renncredible

Reaction score
Im not an electrical genius either.
Are you sure you're on the power wire?
5V is usually a sensor reference voltage.
Also i think it needs to be running to get accurate measurement.
Ok yep, makes sense. Tested with engine running and have 13.5 volts at the pump. Back to the drawing board.