305 to 454 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500BBC

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here, I'm new to this forum, but not to forums in general, I came across a rotted out 1992 K3500 454 1ton truck, and bought it for a measly $300. It ran mint, tranny shifted hard, but I intend on doing a 4speed swap anyways, so that didn't really bother me. The main reason I got the truck was for the BBC it had sitting in it. I have a 1990 K1500 with a 6" Rough Country Lift, 35x12.50x16 Duratracs and Mickey Thompson 16x10 wheels with 4" backspace. I have a full shop to work in, and am very close to the local machine shop who builds engines for the local race cars. To do the swap, will I need to do anything to the front suspension of MY 1/2 ton truck? I'm also swapping the 1ton rear end into my truck, and going to match the gears with 4.11's and I believe I'm going with the Detroit locker for the 14 bolt. I'm going to eventually get an E-locker for the front so I have true 4wd. So, basically, I'm asking what suspension mods I need to do(if any) and any engine suggestions for the 454 would be appreciated as well, I plan on doing a carb swap because I've heard it's considerably easier then messing with the TBI that comes with it. I will be taking the engine apart this weekend.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Welcome, Pictures or die. anyways yhe tbi swap will be easy since you have a complete truck just take everything from the 1 ton and put it into the other. if your gona build up the 454 then carb would be fine and easier, possibly front suspension might require the 1 ton bars, but youll have to drive it and see how much the 454 wieghs the front end down. where do you live that you found a 1 ton for 300 bucks? lucky you.

k1500BBC

Reaction score
Whole truck was rotted out :p went really cheap at auction because no one wanted to bid on it haha. I already had it crushed though, so all I got from it is the engine, tranny, tcase, rear end. Nothing else was worth keeping.