305 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995sierra305

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here, sorry if this topics been beaten dead already,
Just picked up a RCSB 95 c1500.
305 bench seat truck, plain as they come, but decently clean for mi.

Trucks got 250k on the original and tired 305.

Im contemplating on building a decent little tbi350, with all the tbimods, plus a cam, vortec heads etc, just a fun little daily driver truck. It'll have a 2inch rear drop to level it out. And other then that it'll look stock.

Would love to hear some opinions on this. Tell mewhatcha think!

You must be registered for see images attach

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never done what you are planning, but others have and I think it will be awesome. My old boss put a 350 HP 327 crate motor and carb swap on his rcsb. was a fun truck.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Do It!

Since the 305 still runs, you have time to build the 350 how you want it. Then when it comes time, it should be a weekend job for swapping them out.

1995sierra305

Reaction score
Do It!

Since the 305 still runs, you have time to build the 350 how you want it. Then when it comes time, it should be a weekend job for swapping them out.

Kinda my exact plan. Going to get her all together this winter, then come spring when I can just ride the bike to work, she'll be going in. Anybody have recommendation for a good mild cam?

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you call the 305 tired? Mine had 320k on it when I traded it in and only had minor work since I bought with 90k when I was 16. Traded it in when I was 23 after college.

Valve seals can wear but not an expensive Repair and you might not have to replace the engine if you get in a pinch.

That said the 305 isn't a power house out of the box. A lightly modded 350 would be a lot funner.

1995sierra305

Reaction score
Why do you call the 305 tired? Mine had 320k on it when I traded it in and only had minor work since I bought with 90k when I was 16. Traded it in when I was 23 after college.

Valve seals can wear but not an expensive Repair and you might not have to replace the engine if you get in a pinch.

That said the 305 isn't a power house out of the box. A lightly modded 350 would be a lot funner.

Then why did you trade it in?

Dropping the money into building a 305? yes they can make some power after some decent bolt ons, but that kinda money will build my 350.this is my daily driver, so im not going to waste the money building another 305 for it.

If im pulling the heads to do valve seals, then factory tbi heads aren't going back on.

It's got 250k, not exactly the time to start throwing power at it.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never said built the 305. I said if it's just using oil then it's likely just valve stem seals.

I traded it and my 02 c1500 to get an LB7. The body was beat and I was starting a business, I needed to pull trailers. The 305 with 3.42's was a nut less wonder.

I did say a modded 350 is a lot more fun. Not sure where you ever got that I said you should build a 305 let alone put power to a 250k mile 305.

If you just want to build a hot rod then have at it, I try to economical with my decisions. You said the engine is tired and that is why you want to throw a 350 in, so I asked why you say it's tired? That 305 might have a lot more live left in it.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then why did you trade it in?

Dropping the money into building a 305? yes they can make some power after some decent bolt ons, but that kinda money will build my 350.this is my daily driver, so im not going to waste the money building another 305 for it.

If im pulling the heads to do valve seals, then factory tbi heads aren't going back on.

It's got 250k, not exactly the time to start throwing power at it.
Why would you pull the heads to change guide seals?

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/pmx-2151

Cost just as much as new factory vortec heads. I pulled 3 sets of junkyard heads before buying new heads from a local machine shop. found these 2 weeks later. cost was like 50 bucks less for stock heads.

What ever you do remember all power is made or loss in the heads.

Enjoy it

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Do you have someone locally that can burn you a PROM chip?

Without having tuning capability, I would be inclined to leave it as is, put a fresh set of plugs in it, change the fuel filter, cap and rotor and enjoy driving it.

If you have tuning capability locally, then you can swap the engine and a lot of other things to support the engine modifications.

4.3 / 5.0 / 5.7 / 7.4 TBI injectors have different flow rates.

Before spending a ton of money, you need to do some research.

A stock Vortec L31 ( or even an L30 for that matter ) would be more power than you have, and will easily accept a swap manifold so you can adapt the TBI system to it, however you will still need the capability to modify the PROM in the computer.

Lots of options.