305 died, time for a swap and found a 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black97305

Reaction score
So I have found a 400 small block and would like to put it in place of the 305 that spun a bearing at only 161 thousand miles. My biggest question is my truck is a '97 with vortec fuel injection, will that bolt over to the 400? And other than a custom tune to adjust the fuel supply what else would have to be done? The 400 is completely rebuilt as a stock motor bored .030 over, has zero run time since rebuild. I can get this motor for the same price as a crate 350, and would just like the extra power if it's possible to keep it fuel injection.

Thanks,
Dan

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only problem I see is the intake. If it will indeed bolt on, which I'm unsure about, it will probably be a choke point and the motor will not perform to its best.

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
Will the Vortec heads work on the 400? Or are coolant passages different? The cheapest way to find out is comparing head gaskets. What year is the 400?

black97305

Reaction score
Vortec heads would work if you drill the steam hole that the 400 uses for cooling, but its got freshy machined heads with zero run time. I'm not sure of the year but it was in a 52 pickup till it was swapped out for a 302 ford and some mpgs. Only other thing I know of that is different off hand is the 400 is externally ballanced.

dgumoe

Reaction score
Unless its got vortec heads on it the vortec intake wont bolt on.

92BlkK1500

Reaction score
the 305 is externally balanced as well. the vortec heads would be my worry whether they're cracked or not and how the cc of the combustion would effect the compression with a stock cam.