1999 K2500 Suburban - Hydroboost leaking, replace or upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the procedure I followed when I replaced my unit on my K3500. It's a GMT 800, but everything else still applies:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to try and replace the seals before replacing. A full rebuild kit is $20 and a rebuilt unit is anywhere between $180 and $350. It looks like it may be possible to replace the seals without taking it off the truck (you just have to separate the halves and pull the piston out), but not sure how easy/hard that will be with the access issues. Since I have to pull it out anyway to replace, I may as well see if I can fix it for a fraction of the cost.

castine917

Reaction score
I'm going to try and replace the seals before replacing. A full rebuild kit is $20 and a rebuilt unit is anywhere between $180 and $350. It looks like it may be possible to replace the seals without taking it off the truck (you just have to separate the halves and pull the piston out), but not sure how easy/hard that will be with the access issues. Since I have to pull it out anyway to replace, I may as well see if I can fix it for a fraction of the cost.
I just did the seal replacement myself. The seals on Amazon/ateam performance were too soft and kept ripping on me. The ones from pirate were slightly stronger and held up better.

Access issues aren’t too bad. I didn’t do anything in the area of the pedals. All under the hood.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the seal replacement myself. The seals on Amazon/ateam performance were too soft and kept ripping on me. The ones from pirate were slightly stronger and held up better.

Access issues aren’t too bad. I didn’t do anything in the area of the pedals. All under the hood.

Can you post a link to the pirate seals? I tore an a team seal putting mine together. I also found this thread, says Elder Rubber makes the one seal that always leaks.

Here they are, haven't emailed them yet. Supposedly you have to buy like 25 of them, but they're dirt cheap.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you post a link to the pirate seals? I tore an a team seal putting mine together. I also found this thread, says Elder Rubber makes the one seal that always leaks.

Here they are, haven't emailed them yet. Supposedly you have to buy like 25 of them, but they're dirt cheap.

That company is local to me! My 04 project suburban has a hydroboost that seeps. I hope they are the same seal...

$10 worth of seals + shipping sure beats $250+ for a remanufactured hydroboost.

I also just remembered there's a company in Mesquite, Texas that apparently rebuilds the hydroboost for one of the big companies. I can't remember the name though.

castine917

Reaction score

castine917

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is one of my ateam(on right) seals next to my prior seal(on left). The prior seal had a crack in the groove. The a team seal was so soft that it swelled up almost immediately on both the first and second kit I bought. They were the same size before installation.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That company is local to me! My 04 project suburban has a hydroboost that seeps. I hope they are the same seal...

$10 worth of seals + shipping sure beats $250+ for a remanufactured hydroboost.

I also just remembered there's a company in Mesquite, Texas that apparently rebuilds the hydroboost for one of the big companies. I can't remember the name though.

I had to get my reman in CA, it was $400!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo