1998 Z71 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron Davies

Reaction score
I am looking at throwing 2k into my engine. 203k original miles, I’m soon to do valve cover gaskets, water pump, front suspension full replacement on components, full tune up(plugs, wires, cap/rotor, K&N air intake, fuel filter, and thermostat), plus think Black Bear Programmer and Throttle Body Spacer. Thought about a New Cam? Headers?

My exhaust is cut right down past the manifolds. No cats, no pipes. It’s how I picked her up, need to address this as well.

Need to replace the Air Lift Sleeves(and new fittings), plus new rear shocks.

The truck has a 4” Body Lift.

Throw me your thoughts boys and girls. .

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
K&N air intake

Don't do this. The factory intake flows more than enough. I'm in the process of switching my red truck back to the factory intake from a K&N FIPK for a multitude of reasons. I can elaborate if you want, but the long and short of it is the K&N sucks compared to the factory setup. If you absolutely must have an aftermarket intake for looks or sound (because that's all you're going to get out of it) buy a Volant. They're the only ones that actually use a sealed box design and draw cold air from the factory fender hole like they're supposed to. The K&N is an open box design that draws hot air straight from the engine compartment.

Throttle Body Spacer

This will do nothing on a Vortec engine, save your time and money.

Black Bear Programmer

You're on the right track with this one, I strongly recommend Black Bear Performance. Just to clarify though, their service is a mail order tune, not a hand held programmer. They're miles ahead of those.

Aaron Davies

Reaction score
Sounds good, so we skip the K&N, the TBS, and go with Black Bear Performance.

Any other options and or advice??

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
203k original miles I'd be looking at replacing the intake gaskets, and the helical gear at the bottom of the distributor.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
203k original miles I'd be looking at replacing the intake gaskets, and the helical gear at the bottom of the distributor.

And possibly a new MPFI spider while the intake is out. Might as well use the funds saved from skipping the k&n/TB spacer in a good place. Catalytic converters might also be getting close to being a issue at that mileage too. If ya got the funds I'd ditch the factory exhaust for at least some shorties(better option for 4wd) and full 2.5" pipes thru high flow cats.

With a new exhaust, upgraded fuel system and tune it'll feel like a new truck.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
My 97 5.7 has 209k miles and running fine. I have a few leaks and know the intake and poppets could stand some attention. I keep thinking about yanking it out this summer and doing a re-ring rebuild, but I know I'd end up with a full rebuild on an engine that is running fine

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And possibly a new MPFI spider while the intake is out. Might as well use the funds saved from skipping the k&n/TB spacer in a good place. Catalytic converters might also be getting close to being a issue at that mileage too. If ya got the funds I'd ditch the factory exhaust for at least some shorties(better option for 4wd) and full 2.5" pipes thru high flow cats.

With a new exhaust, upgraded fuel system and tune it'll feel like a new truck.
Yeah he said he has no cats so...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah he said he has no cats so...

Actually he said the exhaust is chopped off right passed the manifolds, no cats or pipes and it needed to be addressed. And he said he was looking into headers too so.... You gonna run that small ass stock piping even without cats off headers? That would be a waste of money. Run new 2.5" pipe and add some high flow cats, unless you enjoy that strong exhaust smell sitting in traffic.