1997 V-8 Vortec Distributors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder if he is talking about what is in his signature. A caddy 500 has the distributor in the front like a ford if i remember right.

Yes, that's what I'm assuming. I'd love to have a Cadillac big block.... I'd even take the 472.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, distributor is right up front. One of the best V8s ever, I just wish they were more common. I have a 500 in my Jag and 472 in the corner of the shop. The only difference between a 472 and a 500 is the stroke on the crankshaft.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I have thought about doing a nice build thread. I should have enough documentation. The truck runs great!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best V8s ever, I just wish they were more common.
I'm not going to say they're "one of the best", given the cast-iron connecting rods, external balance, and the hopelessly frail rocker arms and rocker mounting. They do produce a lovely amount of low-RPM torque. The early--'68--'73 cylinder heads were better than '74-newer. It's very obvious that they were designed for Grandma and Grandpa, and were cost-cut accordingly knowing that old people were very unlikely to hit 3000 rpm.

There's four of 'em in my barn. I think there's two or three 500s and at least one 472. Someday I'll get 'em running and maybe even stuffed into a vehicle of some sort.

Here's a '73 Eldorado 500 engine/trans/suspension getting loaded on the trailer when I moved:
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm biased. I love 'em. If I'd thought about it, I might have put the 472 in WCJr.