1997 5.7L VORTEC stalling and not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm having a serious issue. A little background, the truck was sitting 2.5 months with an empty tank while I redid the body and paint. Filled it up, and it ran 150 km or so fine. On the highway at about 90km/hr 2100rpm, truck stalls. Pull over, restarts and drive away. 3 or 4 more stalls at idol, drive away. Next 3-4 days, long crank over and sometimes no start. Or start stall. Sometimes run straight for 3 hours and then stall.

At mechanic, no service engine light, no codes being sent. Changed fuel filter, battery terminals. Fuel pressure test, 58psi. Pump deadends at 80 psi. Pump is okay. Did notice a wire in the wiring harness by the oilpan I think crank sensor was corroded and looked a little split.

Anyone have ideas?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fix that wire for the crank sensor. IMO replace the whole pigtail while you are there

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the crank sensor wire in with the purple wire for starter? I'm unsure of the color of this wire and that was a guess. Anyone have a part number or link?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the crank sensor wire in with the purple wire for starter? I'm unsure of the color of this wire and that was a guess. Anyone have a part number or link?

No but the knock sensor wire is iirc

Sent from somewhere in MN

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my other guess, now if the knock sensor isn't working it would retard the timing and not start correct? Would that also stall at highway cruising? Why no codes?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my other guess, now if the knock sensor isn't working it would retard the timing and not start correct? Would that also stall at highway cruising? Why no codes?

I'm not sure if it not working would cause that.

Sent from somewhere in MN

8716valver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your fuel pump relay. Same thing happened to my brother and there ended up being a pin hole in one of the FP relay wires that had gotten all corroded.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's probably a bad fuel pump. Took it apart after I could not get the pump to even start, jumping out the relay. There was a bad ground or something, causing the connection to heat and melt a little inside the tank. So a new fuel pump and sending unit, and we will see if that fixed it.

Last edited:

wass

Reaction score
Did that fix it? Thats a common prob Iv ran into many times.