1997 5.7L ..No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
1997 Z71
350 Vortec
4l60e

Cranks and spits - will not fire up!
Will be testing the fuel pressure ASAP when I get my hands on a tester, no experience with the Vortec motors - tips or tricks lemme know - or links to ease my pain.

The two things I can see it being:
Fuel Pump
or the spider injection?

Anyways - I just picked this truck up from the neighbor for $500. Let's hope she doesn't cost much to get going.
Any info.. links to read.. would be much appreciated.

EDIT: ISSUE RESOLVED! As suggested below I switched the AC relay for the fuel pump and VOILA! She started right up! Went and picked up a new relay for $17, I don't use AC anyways but I figured I better just replace it.

Last edited:

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its got gas in her,get a rubber mallet and smack the center of the gas tank a couple of times not to hard.Check the fuel pump relay as well.Go down the list:fuel?spark?compression?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Read the PCM for trouble codes first.

Beg borrow or....well, don't steal.......a reader.

10 bucks on ebay will get you a usb ELM327 chipped reader and free OBDII reading software is all over the net.

Obviously, check for popped fuses in the dash or under the hood.

If you do check fuel pressure and have none, check the roll over switch. I can't quite recall, but I think it's in the passenger side foot well under the dash. It also works on "G loading". Wouldn't be the first time I've seen one accidentally kicked and tripped....they have a reset switch IIRC. Long shot, but free to check.

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Fuel pressure should be somewhere close to 60 psi key on. Should not bleed off too fast. 53 psi my truck wouldn't start without priming (dumping fuel manually into throttle body, then it would run, but not well). Pressure is extremely important on these motors.
Can you hear the pump running at all with key on? If not, go no further. Look electrical, think bad ground (by pump), relay, fuse...chances are it hasn't completely died

Try switching out the AC relay for the fuel pump relay (if equipped with AC, obviously).

Have you checked fire? Pull a plug, set it on something so it's grounded (with wire attached, obviously), whirl it over and see what you get.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Fuel pressure should be somewhere close to 60 psi key on. Should not bleed off too fast. 53 psi my truck wouldn't start without priming (dumping fuel manually into throttle body, then it would run, but not well). Pressure is extremely important on these motors.
Can you hear the pump running at all with key on? If not, go no further. Look electrical, think bad ground (by pump), relay, fuse...chances are it hasn't completely died

Try switching out the AC relay for the fuel pump relay (if equipped with AC, obviously).

Have you checked fire? Pull a plug, set it on something so it's grounded (with wire attached, obviously), whirl it over and see what you get.

this right here ^^^

spark and gas

as stated by him and the other guys above, fuel pressure is a big thing with Vortecs.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score

Roger that, I'll check spark & grounds asap, it has AC, where are the relays located, under the hood? Damn I didn't realize everythings in different spots.

Read the PCM for trouble codes first.
Beg borrow or....well, don't steal.......a reader.
10 bucks on ebay will get you a usb ELM327 chipped reader and free OBDII reading software is all over the net.
Obviously, check for popped fuses in the dash or under the hood.

If you do check fuel pressure and have none, check the roll over switch. I can't quite recall, but I think it's in the passenger side foot well under the dash. It also works on "G loading". Wouldn't be the first time I've seen one accidentally kicked and tripped....they have a reset switch IIRC. Long shot, but free to check.

I'll check that roll over switch for sure. I'll get that usb cord for sure, forgot I can use that torque obd2 app on my android now. Should be handy.

If its got gas in her,get a rubber mallet and smack the center of the gas tank a couple of times not to hard.Check the fuel pump relay as well.Go down the list:fuel?spark?compression?

Roger that I'll give it a whirl, fuel pump relay under the hood?

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Would be nice if that's what it was.

Trying to get my hands on a fuel pressure tester. I've never used or seen one though, and where do I hook it up under the hood?
I can hear a "whirrrrrr" when I first turn key on. Can't tell if its fuel pump or not.. i don't think I've ever heard that in my 94, lol.
Looks like I got a plan to tackle this bugger.