1990 454SS TBI rough idle, but under throttle no problem issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spistols

Reaction score
As the title states, under no throttle my 1990 454SS 127K runs like it has a lumpy cam, but under throttle it runs OK. Also has a gas like, but not pure gas odor. Does it have something to do with anything vacuum related or is there an idle adjustment that worked its' way loose or broke?

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I just started having this exact same issue.

hopefully someone knows what this is.

Mine has died a couple of times also, mostly when I just take out of park and start moving

As the title states, under no throttle my 1990 454SS 127K runs like it has a lumpy cam, but under throttle it runs OK. Also has a gas like, but not pure gas odor. Does it have something to do with anything vacuum related or is there an idle adjustment that worked its' way loose or broke?

spistols

Reaction score
I tried the EGR valve and thought this fixed it, but after a week, it started doing the same thing again.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When was the last time you did plugs? Atleast check a couple of them and see what they look like...

sent from what use to be a great country...

spistols

Reaction score
Did plugs about 5,000 miles ago. Again, this problem only happens at idle. Upon acceleration, no hesitation or issues.