1989 K1500 "Rusty" work in progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, here it is... after I have owned five 75-82 Chevy C-10`s, and a number of other more OR less memorable vehicles in-between, I finally got my hands on a GMT 400 style 89 Silverado 4x4. It`s my driver for now, but I`d like to mod it up to my liking :) I`ll post pictures as progress comes slowly along. I try to get photos every time I wrench on it, but sometimes I forget...:rockit:

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my grille, bumper, front skid plate, passenger wheel well & battery tray out this morning. Seems like I removed so much dirt and mud build up, my gas mileage should increase by the time this is all put back right again... :D Gonna re-paint the radiator support, so it looks cleaner once everything is back together. Also, need to replace the battery tray and wheel well, due to PO allowing batteries to seep everywhere for years and rust out the entire area! And I need to clean up the front bumper where the old air-dam was. Bunch of broken clips, and a general gross looking haze coating the chrome, as well as remove the old rubber molding. I hate how that stuff looks anyways, and plan on removing all of it from the exterior. Inside area of the bumper is rusty so the whole thing will be brought back to life when I`m done. Thank god it was straight at least! :) Will post pics as soon as I take them.

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
89 K1500 pictures

here they are

Attachments

• Painted grille (300x225).jpg
    Painted grille (300x225).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 28
  • K1500 roof primer (400x300) (280x210).jpg
    K1500 roof primer (400x300) (280x210).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Engine bay.jpg
    Engine bay.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
89 K1500

Got more stuff done today, and for all intents and purposes, I should be finished working on "Rusty" for the time being. New high flow cat, dist. cap, rotor & coil, Optima Red Top battery. Runs damn good compared to how it ran a month ago... Hoping for better gas mileage! :roflsquared:

Attachments

• Engine bay final (800x600).jpg
    Engine bay final (800x600).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 29
  • old - new coils (800x600).jpg
    old - new coils (800x600).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Front shot (800x600).jpg
    Front shot (800x600).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 27

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
89 k1500

welp, the `ol intake gaskets were on their last leg, and I was sick of the seeping, pooling fluid building up on the top of the manifold when I drove. Took apart the top end of the engine today and found a can of worms. My distributor cap wasn`t lined up right and melted part of the rotor :Boo: and the valley was full of crusty crap from the exhaust valves burning excess schite over time. Realized the valve cover gaskets are going to need replaced too. And in my usual OCD ways, when I take stuff off, I gotta clean it, fix it, and then detail it so its better than before. Also since its off, I`m gonna do the TBI mods. I hate not being able to drive, but I hate worrying about breaking down more :Stupid Me: Will post another bit when its back together!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After being freaked out by a sticky lifter, the truck is back together and running great! I`ll post pics tomorrow when I have some light.

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
New gaskets

After a day of worrying, 5 quarts of oil & filter, a can of Seafoam, and double checking my firing order & spark plug wire routing, my truck is back to running condition :evillol: Looks soooo much better with the top end detailed and the new gaskets sticking out. Maybe I`m being optimistic, but I think it runs better too without the probable vacuum leaks everywhere and crust from inside removed.