1989 c3500 trade in progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
So I will know for sure tomorrow about trading my 95 k1500 excsb for this exclb 1989 was a 454 truck has a 1981 th400 and a rv readend so I'm guessing 4.56 gears 2GCHC39N0K114942 is the Vin but I can't find the build sheet on compnine.com for fhe Vin decode I get to keep my 305 and computer from my tbi 95 so can hopefully use the prom chip or whole computer exhaust and anything to make the motor run in the truck it needs a break line master cylinder abs pump and proportioning valve and it's good to go I'm throwing 500 fo boot on the deal my cousin wants the nv3500 for his 88 1 ton 4x4 ...he won't beat on it so with a stock sbc he should be good I don't think it's a bad deal since my 95 has a bent frame and front clip is trash and it gives me a good base to build a tow pig has factory over loads he wants for his 4x4 ... he can keep them cause the rv leaf pack is more than enough for what I want right now cause I'll put heavier overload springs on when it's time ... if all goes well it will be getting a gooseneck ball maybe a 5th wheel aswell... 305 yes ik small but it's just to get started .... plans are down the road are subject to change and no specific order...

Build a healthy sbc low rpm stump puller till I can afford building a big block.... I like the idea of a 427 but it may get a mild built 454
Nv4500 (is a must)
Locker for the rear
Load leveling for the read
(Possible 2/4 lower kit)
Aluminum reserve/ transfer tank
Dual battery setup
Massive alternator
2 decent size power inverters
Tool/ equipment bed side or below bed top boxes for chains binders straps etc.
Trailer breaking
( have been considering possibly making it a wrecker/ roadside service truck but if I do that ... out goes the gooseneck but I can always start with a trailer and upgrade)
It's ultimate goal is to be a moneymaker

Like I said some goals may change because ...can't have a lowered wrecker....

I'm open to suggestions and ideas but the ultimate 2wd tow/haul truck has always been a goal with any truck and now I have a 1 ton to start with please no bashing ... this is a complete different mindset and a old goal /dream of mine that j have never had a chance to take on ....but it's time

Attachments

• 20221205_145155.jpg
    20221205_145155.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 20

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts:
A small block will never have the bottom end grunt of a comparably modded big block. Don't waste your time with a 305, it is absolutely not worth the time it would take to drop in. Find an old 454 to use. They're out there, just gotta look.
4.56 gears and a th400 means it won't want to go much faster than 60 mph no matter what motor you drop in.
You have several good and interesting ideas, pick one and stick with it. Otherwise you'll spend money on something just to turn around and spend more money redoing it.

Glad you are working on realizing a goal, keep us updated! I do like a white dually....

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
A few thoughts:
A small block will never have the bottom end grunt of a comparably modded big block. Don't waste your time with a 305, it is absolutely not worth the time it would take to drop in. Find an old 454 to use. They're out there, just gotta look.
4.56 gears and a th400 means it won't want to go much faster than 60 mph no matter what motor you drop in.
You have several good and interesting ideas, pick one and stick with it. Otherwise you'll spend money on something just to turn around and spend more money redoing it.

Glad you are working on realizing a goal, keep us updated! I do like a white dually....
First thanks you and I do realize 305 +1 ton = almost useless but its just to get the truck where I cAn use it locally..very local ...and I'm assuming it's 456 gears I have to dig more in to it to get exact specs but ... I do plan on a big. Block... I do not have 1400$ for a 454 ... people around here have gotten ignorant with there prices sbc is very temporary because I do understand the low end sucks

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thanks you and I do realize 305 +1 ton = almost useless but its just to get the truck where I cAn use it locally..very local ...and I'm assuming it's 456 gears I have to dig more in to it to get exact specs but ... I do plan on a big. Block... I do not have 1400$ for a 454 ... people around here have gotten ignorant with there prices sbc is very temporary because I do understand the low end sucks
You're 3 hours from me, I'll find you a cheap big block. I have a spare but it's hurt.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
You're 3 hours from me, I'll find you a cheap big block. I have a spare but it's hurt.
...no funds right at the moment ...but how hurt is it ? Does it have the Intake and all the sensors for the tbi and tb ? When they pulled the motor they took it and kept everything from the pan to the air breather and flywheel to fan... still has the starter though

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I drove a 350 powered crew cab a year or two ago… I think a geo metro might have out accelerated it. I know a Yugo would have.
at some point it go3s from being and inconvenience to downright dangerous to you and to others. a 305 is absolutely at that point.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I drove a 350 powered crew cab a year or two ago… I think a geo metro might have out accelerated it. I know a Yugo would have.
at some point it go3s from being and inconvenience to downright dangerous to you and to others. a 305 is absolutely at that point.
I live in a small town 6000 people maybe rural area like. I said it's just to get it moving pretty much but hopefully 618s (hurt)454 ist to hurt and I can afford to buy it off him

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

I'll vouch for the gear issue with no overdrive. The only thing I didn't like about my '90 R2500 3/4 ton square body Burb, was it was a TBI 350 with a Turbo 400 behind it, and 4.10 gears behind that. It would max out around 55-60, even on flat smooth road. Around town it wasn't so bad, but not a truck you wanted to go on a road trip in...cause you'll be taking your time getting there. If it'd been a '91, would have had the OD trans. We considered a gear vendors OD unit, but it would've cost as much as we had in the truck (bear in mind this was 20 years ago and we were even more broke then).
What makes my CCLB usable with a 350 is the overdrive.