14 bolt ff disc brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Reaction score
I've read a bunch of stuff on brake conversions regarding ff
but the set ups are listed up to 87 what if ff is 99 is it then
a weld on brake bracket? or are those to be done using parts
from a 2000 model year or later ? Thanks roy

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
There are kits for all years/configs of 10.5" 14 bolts. TSM MFG is the first that comes to mind with all the offerings.

There are a couple different drum/hub configurations. From what I have observed, 2WD SRW 3500s and various Express vans got the drum-slides-off hub model. The "hat" is muuuuuch larger on the drum.

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There are kits for all years/configs of 10.5" 14 bolts. TSM MFG is the first that comes to mind with all the offerings.

There are a couple different drum/hub configurations. From what I have observed, 2WD SRW 3500s and various Express vans got the drum-slides-off hub model. The "hat" is muuuuuch larger on the drum.

You must be registered for see images attach

That drum picture is a dually drum...... I've got slide off drums and they're not that big. I'd love to start seeing RPO's posted when people talk about these brakes. Mine are JB8 (SRW).

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've read a bunch of stuff on brake conversions regarding ff
but the set ups are listed up to 87 what if ff is 99 is it then
a weld on brake bracket? or are those to be done using parts
from a 2000 model year or later ? Thanks roy

Personally, I'd want a factory disc setup, but my truck is a daily driver. That means getting a newer axle and moving spring pads, and probably shock mounts. I'm not sure if the factory discs could be retrofitted to the earlier axles with a flange move/fabrication or not.

If you've got basically a trail rig, then using weld/bolt on brackets with squarebody front brakes may be fine. You'll lose your parking brake, unless you use those old caddy calipers. I've heard those aren't really up to the task, on a truck......but don't have any first hand knowledge of them. I still have drums and plan on rebuilding them this summer. Maybe someday, I'll switch to discs, but right now I'm sticking with drums.

Just my thoughts/opinions. Maybe someone else thats done the conversion can share. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say, myself.

Last edited:

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
That drum picture is a dually drum...... I've got slide off drums and they're not that big. I'd love to start seeing RPO's posted when people talk about these brakes. Mine are JB8 (SRW).

Odd, I pulled a complete rear axle assembly from a '93 C3500 SRW truck and it had slide off drums that looked exactly like that. Agree with you on RPOs, problem is (that I see) GM didn't make them descriptive enough, or apply enough RPOs to the brakes. For example, your JB8 translates to "BRAKE SYSTEM,HYDRAULIC POWER DISC,DRUM HYD PWR DISC/DRUM BRK(JB8)" with the GM EPC.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Odd, I pulled a complete rear axle assembly from a '93 C3500 SRW truck and it had slide off drums that looked exactly like that.

Did someone possibly swap a dually axle onto a SRW truck.........or drop a SRW box on a dually truck?

Agree with you on RPOs, problem is (that I see) GM didn't make them descriptive enough, or apply enough RPOs to the brakes. For example, your JB8 translates to "BRAKE SYSTEM,HYDRAULIC POWER DISC,DRUM HYD PWR DISC/DRUM BRK(JB8)" with the GM EPC.

We don't need GM to describe them any better. Anyone that's been into there brakes knows what they've got, or can look. My point is to figure out when GM used slide off drums and when they were on the back of the hubs......... or anything else that might come up.