***Your HID Questions Answered Here.***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have no corrosion issues at the plugs. I've had the connectors apart more than once already. I've plugged the high beam ballasts into my low beam truck side connectors and they fire up normally. Checked my harness fuses and they are good. Tried plugging then directly I to my high beam truck side plugs and still nothing. Grabbed the test light and I have power to the truck side plugs meaning the ballast is getting power but no ground. My next step is to run a jumper from the truck plug power to the ballast plug power and a jumper ground out to the battery and see if she fires. If that works I'm going to run individual body grounds for the highs. I don't have a whole lot of time to rip out and open up the front harness and find the broken ground for my high beams.

I don't electrical tape much anymore. I've seen taped harnesses come apart water logged after a week of dry days. I tape one or two widths to keep wires together or I use cable ties and then I use wire split loom that is taped one or two widths at the ends with two wraps around the wire underneath to keep it in place and prevent the edges of the split loom from rubbing through the wires. For wire repairs I prefer heat shrink butt connectors with clear shrink tube over top for a double seal. The crimp and seal style work well but solder seal style work the best. I NEVER tape over wire repairs. I use clear heat shrink to make identifying a failed or rotted repair easier. :handshake:

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

Last edited:

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My friend is having a lot of problems with his all of the sudden I will try that, I used compression fittings and heat shrink on all the wire repairs I did and his lights will turn on one day and not the next, I'll try the grounds on his, he taped over the connectors to try and seal them, that didn't really do anything, It might have attributed to the problem I never taped any of mine and they are fine

Sent from the Sierra Club

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Good luck to ya. Hope you can narrow it down.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I bought all mine from ddmtuning.com and I've had the ones in my 05 for a few years, dropped some in my dads 94 silverado and my 94 Sierra, we live in some harsh conditions and they hold up great, if you live In a cold climate like I do, I recommend the 35w power rating with 5000k or 6000k, the 55w have too long of a heat up and at at -30 they don't even ignite

Sent from the Sierra Club

the issue ive been having with mine is they just burn out, not the bulbs but the ballasts

Last edited:

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
I blew through 4 passenger side low beam ballasts in about a month and a half. Upgraded the entire lighting wiring harness and no issues yet, but don't have that many hours on new harness. It wouldn't surprise me of the OEM cheese-dick harness wasn't supplying steady voltage/current.

Sent from my marvel of Jobs' technology that is lucky I haven't backed over it with the flatbed using Tapatalk 2...

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I blew through 4 passenger side low beam ballasts in about a month and a half. Upgraded the entire lighting wiring harness and no issues yet, but don't have that many hours on new harness. It wouldn't surprise me of the OEM cheese-dick harness wasn't supplying steady voltage/current.

Sent from my marvel of Jobs' technology that is lucky I haven't backed over it with the flatbed using Tapatalk 2...
i always wondered if it was heat related due to the location

Charlie

Reaction score
What is a good site to get the housings? I don't want anything too flashy. And is there a site where I can order everything?

rmurphy1897

Reaction score
I've been doing research on HID's for a good 2 weeks now and I'm still thoroughly confused. Lol. I've got a 96 that I wanna put HID's in. What's the best way for me to do it? I know I want 6000K or 8000K. I'm not looking for the cheap way out. Definitely looking for the right, long lasting way. Any help would bw greatly appreciated!!