***Your HID Questions Answered Here.***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Okay i need help, i have a 1989 chevy and i bought an HID kit with the bulb size 9006 i think. One of my headlights was out from the drivers side so i just figured id install the HIDs since there plug n play. when i installed them they didnt turn on and when i put the stock bulbs they didnt turn on either, need help!

Check your fuses and relay. Then check the wiring to the light.

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

zilverado71

Reaction score
I would like to say.. deter from slim kits if at all possible. It is a fact that they do indeed run hotter, due to less insulation in the circuitry they are more "delicate". Slim is not the new style, there is a reason that they still produce "fat" ballasts. ;)

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I would like to say.. deter from slim kits if at all possible. It is a fact that they do indeed run hotter, due to less insulation in the circuitry they are more "delicate". Slim is not the new style, there is a reason that they still produce "fat" ballasts. ;)

The reasons aren't due to less insulation(that's caused by a manufacturer cutting corners), it's due to them using the case as a heatsink(when correctly built).

In correctly built ballasts, slims use the case as a heatsink thus they run warmer, but they can also fit in smaller locations. The standard sized ballast has problems fitting in skinny locations, but has better cooling due to internal heatsinks.

The thing to stay away from are chinese built ballasts altogether, as none of them design their own ballast, they only copy the designs from Taiwan(2nd best quality) and Korean(highest quality) ballasts, but utilize different circuit layouts internally for faster manufacturing and thus provide a false idea that they are their own design.

The only ballasts that will last the lifetime of a standard daily driver vehicle are Korean manufactured ballasts, and they're around $500-retail price.....you can get by with cheaper setups made in Taiwan that will last a few years on average, for around the $100 price tag(wholesale).

Goldhawg

Reaction score
MOBS, Any recommended kits to get the Taiwan ballast? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck 35W 6000k high and low kits (if I've read this thread correctly). And likely the TYC elegante housing:
http://www.amazon.com/TYC-80-6227-0...UTF8&colid=1DNS9UWVZ2J2E&coliid=IN30IS6AW9USB

all w/MeanGreen HD relay harness.
Thoughts? I'm definitely going w/the HD harness, but I'm still trying to determine the best kit and headlight housings.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
TYC & Depo are the 2 top quality asian manufacturers, my 95's exterior lenses were all replaced with Depo lamps and the fit is like factory.

Since we sell HIDs, I'm inclined to tell you about our Taiwan(Level-1) ballasts. We have 4 levels total, but they consist of Korean and modified Lexus and Mercedes ballasts, so the prices are for the people with deeper pockets :p

Our Lvl1 kits run $90/kit(average nationwide retail store price), which includes an HD harness per kit already, so it would save you from having to run another harness, unless you just want to, then I can take $10 off per kit if you don't want the harnesses with them.

Last edited:

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats yall thought on the ddm hid kits? just curious cuz there really cheap but I might just try them anyways for the price.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats yall thought on the ddm hid kits? just curious cuz there really cheap but I might just try them anyways for the price.

The general consensus is that the DDM HID's are decent quality, and they always had a lifetime warranty. A lot of people have had good luck with them.

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh alright we'll with the kit and harness it came out to like 45 bucks so it's worth a shot