WTF ? Low Fuel Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YeA HoE

Reaction score
So before I got my Tahoe I had a 2000 Sierra with the 5.3 and I would run that **** on empty like really bad. Not once did it leave me stranded nor did the truck kind sort almost shut off on me. But with this tahoe (5.7) if its kinda low on gas and I have to slam on the brakes (not on purpose ppl dont drive to well here in Miami) it actually shuts off on me while i am still driving or coasting or if I am going up a bridge in slow traffic and I am low gas it will also shut off on me. I mean it turns right back on and gets me where i have to be but why does it shut off ? Yes its low on gas but not out of it completly ?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The gauges in NBS vehicles and practically every vehicle since 2000 are "dummy" gauges...they give you some leeway.

OBS gauges for the most part tell you the truth when they get low. It means they are low. When you are on your last little bit the gas moves around in the tank, sloshing away from the fuel pick-up which will cause the truck to cut off.

This is why you see race car drivers rock their cars back and forth when they are low on fuel, to keep fuel flowing over the pick-up in the tank.

YeA HoE

Reaction score
The gauges in NBS vehicles and practically every vehicle since 2000 are "dummy" gauges...they give you some leeway.

OBS gauges for the most part tell you the truth when they get low. It means they are low. When you are on your last little bit the gas moves around in the tank, sloshing away from the fuel pick-up which will cause the truck to cut off.

This is why you see race car drivers rock their cars back and forth when they are low on fuel, to keep fuel flowing over the pick-up in the tank.

Makes perfect sense

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
These truck's fuel pumps don't last long if you continuously run the fuel below 3/8-1/4 full. The fuel is used as a coolant & lubricant.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
These truck's fuel pumps don't last long if you continuously run the fuel below 3/8-1/4 full. The fuel is used as a coolant & lubricant.

Yeah I meant to mention that also.

I had a '99 Tahoe leave me stranded about 5 years ago in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee with some buddies because of the fuel pump...and I believe it was because he drove a LOT but never ever had more than a few gallons of gas in it.

YeA HoE

Reaction score
LoL well gas is expensive and it already has new fuel pump so i just need to be sure run with more gas from now on.... wait, what ? used a a coolant and lubricant ? Please elaborate ?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
LoL well gas is expensive and it already has new fuel pump so i just need to be sure run with more gas from now on.... wait, what ? used a a collant and lubricant ? Please elaborate ?

The fuel pump is like any electrical motor - it gets hot. The fuel running through the pump acts as a coolant, the fuel will always be cooler than the pump itself so it pulls heat from the pump's motor, cooling it.

YeA HoE

Reaction score
The fuel pump is like any electrical motor - it gets hot. The fuel running through the pump acts as a coolant, the fuel will always be cooler than the pump itself so it pulls heat from the pump's motor, cooling it.

oh for the fuel pump itself, gotcha. Thanks

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can change that if you want to. the fuel needle position can be adjusted. when you get really low like that, when you get low like that, just remove the needle, and place it on E, or wherever you'd like, which is helpful if otherpeople drive the truck who may not be as attentive to filling it up before it gets to 1/4 or something...the only side effect of adjusting the needle is that when you fill up, it may not still be perfectly at F afterwards (since the needle swing amount isn't going to change, just where it ends up on E at in the swing)....but IMO knowing exactaly where it's empty is more important than having it aligned to full...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1, not many people understand how important it is not to run a vehicle till its empty...our pumps are little electric motors on a stick, submersed in the fuel, so not only the fuel running through it, but the fuel all around it transferring the heat away, and when you run it below 1/4 or so, you are lowering the 'ambient' fuel around it the pump...