Writeup: Throttle Blade Removal Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I've noticed a little more pep, but the only REAL gain I've noticed is like you said- on hills. I usually run cruise control and my truck used to always downshift on several hills- no more. :D So I KNOW it helped a little bit in my case.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I removed the lip yesterday along with the resonator box. I've driven the truck a couple of times, but I keep forgetting that I had done the "mods", so I haven't nailed it yet to see. I truthfully don't expect any difference, but at the cost, I had to do it.

I'm sure that lip was put there by GM for some reason, just like the resonator box was put there to tune out a noise at a certain frequency. Since the box only created stagnant volume of air, I expect no performance change from that. It may end up being a little noisier at a certain rpm and that's okay with me. It's not like I can't put it back in 5 minutes. The throttle blade lip is gone for good, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence anywhere that it was negative, so why not take a chance. It does seem that it would open up the breathing some, but I don't know if that is the choke point in the intake.

Cost of both mods, $3 for the plumbing cap. Real advantage is that some things will be easier to get to in the future.

Could have saved $3. Any cap from a spray paint can will fit snugly over the lip on the intake elbow. I just used a hose clamp for cheap security. Done it this way on all 3 of my Vortec trucks. I trimmed the cap so it was shorter, and not as bulky looking.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
subscribed. Id like to do this when I pull the intake to do the spider injectors and new gaskets. Might as well make a day out of it while I am in there.

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you like that flip-flop ratchet? I've been thinking about getting one (I think the same exact one).

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I can really tell what it does when the roads are wet. You really have to have a light touch on the throttle or the tires spin. I think that must have been the whole purpose by GM. By reducing the airflow at a barely open throttle, they reduce that initial torque to let the truck get rolling before the power comes in. It is really noticeable in bad traction situations. I think it would be a handful in snow like this.

Moral of the story, I need wider tires.

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did mine a few months ago and notice the gain's at take offs and when I step into her when passing.
I took another one off a truck at the bone yard and had my partner Oakdog from TYF trim it down and just swapped
it out in a matter of minutes.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

98gm1500

Reaction score
dumb question, but no ones had any problems with engine lights regarding any emissions stuff? i highly doubt it but never know i guess..