Writeup: Throttle Blade Removal Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevinx

Reaction score

Simple stuff......remove 2 blade screws, hold throttle open, slide blade out, trim with grinder, hold throttle open, slide blade back in, loosely install screws with loc-tite, operat throttle several times(to let blade settle in properly) tighten screws, and let sit for an hour for the loc-tite to set.
With the blade closed. The screws can't fall in the engine. A lot less chance for vacuume leaks, or other problem.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
The way I read it, he did the grinding with the butterfly removed from the throttle body, but didn't remove the throttle body. My question is what about all the crap on the butterfly when it's slid out? Though I suppose if it's clean it'd be fine.

Kevinx

Reaction score
The way I read it, he did the grinding with the butterfly removed from the throttle body, but didn't remove the throttle body. My question is what about all the crap on the butterfly when it's slid out? Though I suppose if it's clean it'd be fine.

Well, you read it right. I had flushed the intake with top engine cleaner along with changing every fluid in the truck; they day I bought it. The amount of "crap" on the throttle plate was negligible. I build high performance V-twins for a living, and am not terribly prone to doing bone head moves.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fair enough. :) When I read it the first time and you didn't say you'd removed the blade, just that you didn't remove the throttle body - I thought, jeezus H this guy just filled his engine with shavings. Reading your second reply I was toast from a long day and a nice dinner & drinks. My mistake!

Richard

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. :) When I read it the first time and you didn't say you'd removed the blade, just that you didn't remove the throttle body - I thought, jeezus H this guy just filled his engine with shavings. Reading your second reply I was toast from a long day and a nice dinner & drinks. My mistake!

Richard

I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that it's easy too pull, and probably could use a bath anyway. I see what he did now.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did mine, 98 5.7. It does have more pop from a stand still , way easier to get over a curb if your tires are up against them and you goose it compared to before. For the 15 min it took I think it's worth the time.

Reaction score
Wow if you have K&N filter, get rid of immediately. Went to do this mod today, and there was black thick soot all over everything. Cleaned everything up, going to did again soon.

On to mod, tapered edge of blade too. Throttle response is well improved. Going to be doing some more throttle body mods in store. Took a few measurements while it was a part. About a .125 can be bored out at bottom of throttle body where it tapers to smaller size after blade.