Would you ditch this truck, do engine swap, or swap the head gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
redfishsc while u have the intake off get a gallon or 2 of mystery marvel oil and pour down the valley and the top of the heads rockers maybe some trans fluid too. then drain out after sitting over night. i bought a 1998 chevy with vortec 305 and same happen intake let loose but hell lot worse than urs was pouring watering into oil pan as fast as i poured it in rad. but ya bout 5 gallons of oil and marvel oil later and new gaskets i saved it lol

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
So here's the $300 question. Upgrade to MPFI or leave the old (functional) SCPI spider injectors.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
So here's the $300 question. Upgrade to MPFI or leave the old (functional) SCPI spider injectors.

That all depends on how much money you have to spend. Personally, I would address the issue at hand first before worrying about other things that aren't directly related to the job that requires your undivided attention.

Go ahead and keep that idea in mind, but maybe for a later project. I am guilty of obsessing about unrelated items in the middle of a project, but all it does is create a distraction.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
believe it or not, that's not as bad as I have seen. my GF's of K5 blazer with the TBI 350 had the same issue but worse. took it all apart, checked the heads, resurfaced them, put it all back together and all was well in the world. truck had 145000 on it. lasted till 185,000 when we sold it.

you might wan to try some Rislone to clean the engine. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO A "T".

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
redfishsc while u have the intake off get a gallon or 2 of mystery marvel oil and pour down the valley and the top of the heads rockers maybe some trans fluid too. then drain out after sitting over night. i bought a 1998 chevy with vortec 305 and same happen intake let loose but hell lot worse than urs was pouring watering into oil pan as fast as i poured it in rad. but ya bout 5 gallons of oil and marvel oil later and new gaskets i saved it lol
Do this with diesel fuel. Much cheaper.

redfishsc

Reaction score
I happen to have a Gallon of butyl cellusolve which I recently read was recommended (by some manufacturer somewhere) that effectively removes glycol from the engine crankcase.

I need to look that back up first but it may end up being part of my cleanup.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Skylark gives good advice.

Diesel is kerosene based which leaves a film on material, inhibiting corrosion.

I use kerosene on parts especially internals (its safe on bearings etc) and acetone on gasket surfaces.

Last edited:

redfishsc

Reaction score
Well damn. Head is cracked on Cyl 6 exhaust. Look at the top edge of the poppet. It's really obvious in person. I didn't even look at the intake side of the head. The piston had a lot of orange staining on top of it also. Interestingly the head gasket itself didn't appear to have failed. This explains why compression was at 120 in this one.

This wore out motor is getting expensive quickly. What's a fair priced to pay for a used/reman head? If the other head appears OK, I assume there's no need to replace them in pairs.

Also..... anyone know of any good tutorials/videos on how to yank one of these motors out and bolt up a new one? Seems like I'm already halfway there. Another $2K and I can put a new crate motor in this thing.

You must be registered for see images attach