Would this trans be identifiable as likely nv3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
It’s not that complex with the fortitude and right tools .
I remember doing drop I- beams at 16 yrs old on my 91 ranger in the middle of winter dressed accordingly because I wanted to be the cool kid on the block the next morning ..
I guess I’m just that guy im not afraid too wrench even if the weather conditions aren’t what I wish for
Exactly man, like my grandfather said rip, he always said you can do anything if you put your mind to it, I'm 17 almost 18 years old. Some one gave me that price I'd be damd if I would let it slip. Hell even for a set of 3/4 ton leafs for my half ton I'd do it in the pouring rain negative degrees. Forget all these naysayers. Good luck with your build man.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
"Naysayers" = people speaking the truth. Wow.

Just because GM (or a supplier) made it, doesn't mean it's a good and useful part, or suitable for the application. History has proven this ever since man put tires on the road.

Richard

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
"Naysayers" = people speaking the truth. Wow.

Just because GM (or a supplier) made it, doesn't mean it's a good and useful part, or suitable for the application. History has proven this ever since man put tires on the road.

Richard
at the same time there's no need to put someone down on something. Yeah it's at a salvage yard, YOU RUN A RISK EVERYTIME ON EVERYTHING. not everyone has money to buy new. Like damn everyone is so opinionated these days. Lessons are learned yeah it may be bad or a good trans. That's why it's a risk

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at the same time there's no need to put someone down on something. Yeah it's at a salvage yard, YOU RUN A RISK EVERYTIME ON EVERYTHING. not everyone has money to buy new. Like damn everyone is so opinionated these days. Lessons are learned yeah it may be bad or a good trans. That's why it's a risk
No one is putting anyone down. It’s a forum. A place to ask questions and receive answers and sound advice even if the advice is not what the poster wants to hear. You can take risks but that should be after careful consideration of alternatives and advice given.

Ace17

Reaction score
Yeah $150 in 2024 is actually a pretty good deal. I've been going to boneyards for like 13 years now, and I've been seeing more a more people in there(even with their wives!) pulling parts, cause' times are tough out there. I've also noticed that boneyards having been jacking up the prices lol.

That being said, like some of the others said, there's no way I'd just throw it in there as is. My guess is you're gonna do a rebuild, right? The earlier versions(hm290, 5lm60) were kind of a pain in the ass to rebuild, while these are a little simpler, do to the design of a single shift rail, single input bearing, etc. I'd pull it apart and see what's happening on the inside.

Also, I'm assuming you have a 96 and newer truck right? If your truck is older, it probably has the external slave cylinder, just something to keep in mind.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah $150 in 2024 is actually a pretty good deal. I've been going to boneyards for like 13 years now, and I've been seeing more a more people in there(even with their wives!) pulling parts, cause' times are tough out there. I've also noticed that boneyards having been jacking up the prices lol.

That being said, like some of the others said, there's no way I'd just throw it in there as is. My guess is you're gonna do a rebuild, right? The earlier versions(hm290, 5lm60) were kind of a pain in the ass to rebuild, while these are a little simpler, do to the design of a single shift rail, single input bearing, etc. I'd pull it apart and see what's happening on the inside.

Also, I'm assuming you have a 96 and newer truck right? If your truck is older, it probably has the external slave cylinder, just something to keep in mind.
It’s going into a 99 gmt400 Obs suburban as a swap ‘ so yea it’s a unusual scenario to do it in, not many suburban Tahoe Yukon 2wd have ever been done probably some out there but you don’t see it and wasnt a Manual 2wd optional from the factory as far as I know with the 92-99 suburbans but it’s doable just as any c1500 is . I never ever intended on just throwing it in after all that work . It was about getting my hands on a core for rebuild . There’s not a shop out there that has a 93+ nv3500 2wd on the shelf rebuilt ready to go at least not any of the big name online shops . 4 places told me if you can get us a core or a core in general for yourself at 150$ do so.

So yes it wasn’t just getting thrown in my truck as is .. I am not that crazy . The topic went left with the assumption I was just doing that . When it was just mainly helping me identify it as a nv3500, even tho I knew it was likely gonna be

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
The only question I recall seeing asked was if it is a nv3500. People offered opinions and reasons it may be a risk bad call. A defensive tone could be heard in the replies to comments others made. Not until somewhere around post #17/18 was there a mention of rebuilding the unit prior to installation in your swap.

May have saved some irritation and unwelcome advice/comments if the original post indicated that disassembly and inspection or rebuilding prior to install was the likely route. Just my 0.02.

I hope it's a good trans and serves you well. I'm debating swapping an NV4500 into my 95 k2500 suburban.

bamabound

Reaction score
While the nv4500 is much stronger, the nv3500 does what it's intended purpose is just fine. I've owned/driven both for over 10 yrs and both trucks are driven similarly, ie not beat on, but not babied either. I have seen a suburban converted to a nv3500 yrs ago. Guy loved it. As for buying one in the JY, $150 isn't that much these days, so I'd go for it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only question I recall seeing asked was if it is a nv3500. People offered opinions and reasons it may be a risk bad call. A defensive tone could be heard in the replies to comments others made. Not until somewhere around post #17/18 was there a mention of rebuilding the unit prior to installation in your swap.

May have saved some irritation and unwelcome advice/comments if the original post indicated that disassembly and inspection or rebuilding prior to install was the likely route. Just my 0.02.

I hope it's a good trans and serves you well. I'm debating swapping an NV4500 into my 95 k2500 suburban.
previously undeclared intent / backpedaling, whichever works ;)

Richard