Would this 4l80e be a good core?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Jew him down. :imo

I buy these things every month, in better and worse shape for no more than $200.

MikeRWK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What parts would you suggest to build a good tranny for towing, i'll be towing a car on a flatdeck 4000kms.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
In all honesty, just rebuild it stock and drive it. What's it going in? You can do more with altering the TCC apply strategy and shift tables to give it better towing manners. The stock hard parts are fine, just run a cooler rated for at least 20000GVWR.

By the way, I've pulled near the max GCVWR all over the southeast US in my rcsb at one time or another and had no issues with a 4L60. That includes going from sea level to ~6000' and back again several times.

MikeRWK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll just be towing the car in my sig it weighs about 3300 lbs, i was going to put it in my truck but if the 4l60 will pull it then i wont bother with it, only problem with my trans is it shifts slow, im going to replace the boost valve.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Well, you're looking at a heck of a lot of work to make a 4L80E work in that truck, just FYI. Off the top of my head: transmission(duh), relocate crossmember, have driveshaft shortened/rebalanced, extend the cooling lines, buy new flexplate, have a custom EPROM made if you have a late 93 with a 4L60E already, or convert to a later PCM to run the engine and transmission if you have an early 93 with a 4L60.

That's a lot of work just for towing something. To be blunt, if you're pulling something heavy enough to justify NEEDING a 4L80E, you don't need to be pulling with with a 1/2 ton to begin with. That Nissan is nowhere near heavy enough to justify the work involved, IMO. If it were greater than 5000lbs, then you'd want something other than a rcsb 1/2 ton to be pulling it routinely anyway.