would a 14 bolt be worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtreme.97

Reaction score
hey guys, i hope this question hasn't been covered a million times. i searched but didn't see exactly what i was looking for. i have a 97 hoe thats lifted on 37's. obviously a gear change is next on the list cuz the 3.73's ain't gettin it done. before i swap though, i'm trying to decide if a 14 bolt would be worth it for me. its a daily driven truck and for now it doesn't really see any offroad action. in the future i would like to do some light trail riding but i don't plan on this being a rockcrawler (can't be dentin up the old girl, gotta watch the paint!). i'm thinking 4.88's would be good, but i've heard that some people have had issues because the teeth on the ring gear are smaller for the shorter gears. also, with 37's, some added strength couldn't hurt even on the street. i know the 14 won't slide in and bolt straight up, some modification will be needed. at this point, is the 10 bolt fine for what i'm doing or should i ditch it and go with the 14?

thanks for the help. still learning the chevy parts so i figured i'd ask the pros.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Look for a 14 bolt SF, they came equipped on certain GMT400 1/2 ton trucks and are 6 lug, I'm not sure about the spring perches on the 'hoe's but it is a direct bolt on for 1/2 ton 6 lugs. I highly recommend it, I've wasted 4 10 bolts between the two trucks my 14SF has seen and its still running strong.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would definitely do the 14bolt swap while ur at it and at least 4:88s

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd deffinatly swap a 14 SF in. There a much stronger unit then the lesser ten bolt. And as butch said, the 14 bolts are damn near bulletproof. I have a 14 bolt SF in my 94' 2500 from the factory and wouldn't want anything else.

xtreme.97

Reaction score
well that made up my mind!!! ok so what should i be looking for? i've read what the difference between a ff and sf are, but visually looking at the axle, what will i need to look for? i plan on getting a doner axle and just building it in the garage the way i want it. the gears obviously, a good diff cover with magnets, and i would also like to swap the drums for disks. anything else i should do before i put it in the truck? and also, does anyone know if its a direct bolt in for the tahoe? i can't weld myself, so i would have to call a buddy over it the spring perches need to be moved. sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure i get the right thing the first time, dont wanna do this more than once. thanks again for all the help guys!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The 14 bolt FF are all 8 lug, and the housing has flat beveled edges. They have a removable pinion carrier. The 14 bolt SF can come in 8 or 6 lug and has an oval housing. The pinion yoke goes right into the end of the hosing just like the 10 bolt.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
The 14 bolt FF are all 8 lug, and the housing has flat beveled edges. They have a removable pinion carrier. The 14 bolt SF can come in 8 or 6 lug and has an oval housing. The pinion yoke goes right into the end of the hosing just like the 10 bolt.

thats what you need to look for and im not sure if new perches will need to be welded but check out (http://www.twiztedengineering.com/servlet/the-1/Conversion-Disc-Brake-Bracket/Detail) and (www.ruffstuffspecialties.com) for disc conversions and 14 bolt stuff. i need to do the disc conversion on mine. oh and your hoe looks pretty bad ass!

xtreme.97

Reaction score
thanks solid, for the links and the compliment! i'm really happy with it. i used to drive a newer f150 that was lifted and i saw 4 just like it everytime i went out so i decided to go off the beaten path a little. i don't see many lifted obs where i am, much less any tahoes. i got tired of everybody asking me which dealership i bought it from lifted like that! still got lots more to do like that sas u got! btw, u running links up front or leafs?

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
im running leafs. coils are great for ride comfort and articulation but the leafs are more solid and you dont get the major lean in corners and on ramps. i do little wheeling here and there and it handles fine. what tires are you running? i have about 10k or so left on mine so i want to start getting some ideas.