Worth with 3 inch lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all. New to forums but love that I've found one all about my 99 Tahoe and Suburban. Looking forward to info. I'm looking to do a 3-4" lift with the Rough Country kit. It replaces keys and axle drop with 2" block for rear. Price is decent, now I'm considering putting it in myself, went over install procedures which are quite detailed, or just getting Low Riders to install. Thoughts would be great. Thanks
I dont know man, seems people go for more bang for your buck like having a 4 inch or 6 inch. Read @df2x4 has a good reply. Have a great day

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I would like to talk about ride quality sock vs lift it is a wash imho my form friends 99 K-1500 classic with a 4 or 6 inch lift and 35x12.50x15s road really nice was nicer than you would think that it would same goes of our stock 97 K-3500 crew cab long bed 6.5 turbo diesel it is riding on 265x75xr16s but like my former friends truck I can not understand how it rides so nice loaded or unloaded towing or not towing it blows my mind no our 95 ram 1500 regular cab short bed 5 speed 2wd on 305x40x22s and that thing rides like you think a truck would and some one I know has a 01 ram 1500 extend cab short bed 4x4 with the off road package and rides kinda rough

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Likely will not like my opinion. I am not a fan of lift kits, just for looks. If you are going to off road and need clearance and bigger tires, I get it but there is more stress on everything with it lifted, for street and off road. I like a beautiful stock look that looks like it is a cream puff and solid, all at the same time. Good luck.

I like lifts and drive a lifted truck and I still agree 100%.

I think this body style is unique in that it looks equally good lifted, lowered and stock. I have to admit that part of the reason I lifted my truck is because I thought it looked cool. I did drag the belly a lot off road so a lift and a winch help with that problem but it was as much an excuse as a reason.

But there's no way around it, lifting a truck makes it objectively worse in most ways, especially these trucks with the IFS made of bubble gum and wet cardboard.

Any of these keys + UCA "lift kits" that just has the truck sit higher within the suspension cycle rather than actually lift it with drop brackets and such just gives you the worst possible setup. I know it's standard procedure with Toyotas but that's a whole different animal. Those cheap 2-3 inch lifts are nothing but bad for these trucks.

They put undue stress on all your front end parts and make the truck ride like crap just to still smash your sheet metal on the tires when you hit a bump or flex out. If you still really want it, you can already crank you stock keys too high for free.

My advice would be crank to level with 33s or a full 4-6 lift kit with 35s. I've had both and would not do any half-ass in between.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll also say that the few hundred bucks you save with the cheap lift is a drop in the bucket compared to the full cost of the lift, tires, wheels, gears and other expenses that usually accompany a lift. Even if you do all the work yourself it's still going to be thousands of dollars by the time you are done.

Reaction score
Now that i think of it i had to replace the rear leafspring shackle mount whitch is factory rivited to the frame, but the replacement part is bolted. I remember i had to drill some new holes because the predrilled ones were not in the same spot as the origionals.

But if i just unbolt them and take them in the old holde i would gain an inch or 1.5". I screwed in the torsian keys:eek: so i could get some more ground clearance, because of the snowy roads we have here in Norway. So now its squating a bit. Any one with a second thought on this?

Happy Easter!:)