Will a Chevy 400 be able to replace a 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Stock 400's were mostly turds. Short connecting rods, soft blocks, and camshaft profiles that your grandma would like. They are externally balanced. ( unlike all other small blocks )

Trying to find a low mileage 400 is going to be pretty tough. You are much farther ahead with a vortec 350: stock roller camshaft, better cylinder heads, better connecting rods and metallurgy.

A LS platform is light years ahead of the older engines, and for good reasons, much better cooling, symmetrical port layout, higher rocker ratios, cross bolted main caps, cast oil pans, you can go on and on. To swap to an LS isn't for people that want to get it done in a weekend, and I wouldn't consider doing it on an old vehicle that has but a few years left in it's lifespan.

There is a reason why Computational Fluid Dynamics and FEA modeling software are so widely used today, stresses can be analyzed before anything is built: cooling jackets are optimized to reduce the opportunity for hot spots, and reliability / longevity has never been better.

If you are intending to put this in a TBI truck, the cheapest way would be to buy an intake and a carb, unless you intend on keeping the TBI and getting someone to burn you a chip with software that can help you out.

Either way, it's not going to be cheap. Drive it as is, and put that money towards a newer vehicle that has more power, more towing capacity, more braking power if you want an 'upgrade'. They also have a lot more creature comforts and an interior that's likely not falling apart.

Last edited:

ljsilvers

Reaction score
I really like my truck. Its been well maintained and has a very clean interior. Plus imo it looks better than a 96-99. Also I already have the 350 in it. I was looking for affordable displacement and torque increase. I like the LS, but want to keep a stock look.

Option 1 rebuild my short block as I have rebuilt TBI heads on it

option 2 rebuild my short block and put Vortec heads on it

option 3 383 with TBI heads

option 4 383 with Vortec heads

option 5 completely rebuilt 400 short block with Vortec heads w/ steam holes or aftermarket heads

BUT from what I saw a low mileage 4.8 or a lower mileage 5.3 takeout complete would be cheaper. But those two aren't hi in Tq are they?

Last edited: