Wildbill0088's 97 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Ok this thread may fall flat on it's face but gonna try anyways. Bought this truck three years ago. 1997 C1500 ECLB 5.0 Vortec
You must be registered for see images attach

Was sitting in a buddies front yard on three wheels paid supposedly had no park but I found immediately that it was just a bad shift cable so I through a battery in it and heard it run but found the intake gasket was shot. So I gave him $500 and hauled it home and did a bunch of little repairs. Also removed three big trash bags worth of crap from the interior and ended up pressure washing the carpet at a car wash haha.

Drove it like I stole it, had a rear end howl the whole time I drove it and started throwing transmission codes the day after I started driving it, right after the "buddy" I bought it off of told me the trans was blown and took off in his Dmax laughing. His trans blew up an hour later Karma is a ***** lmao! Meanwhile I drove mine a year and a half till problems got bad.

Worked it regularly and was mostly issue free for a year and a half till second let go in the trans and it got parked, gradually losing random parts here and there to the other trucks.

How it currently sits. Was gonna part it out but now thinking I may fix the thing up since I want a DD that can do what I need it to.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
This might just be a wild hair thought...but what about the idea of taking the 5 speed out of your '93 and dropping it into this truck or the 305 from this truck into the '93 with an ECM swap and a GM performance TBI intake for the vortec heads?

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
The w/t is on the back burner got big plans a ways down the road for it lol. Want the extended cab for a DD. if I came across another nv3500 equipped truck may consider a swap. Besides if I put a different motor in the w/t it will sure as hell be a 350 or bigger

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
The w/t is on the back burner got big plans a ways down the road for it lol. Want the extended cab for a DD. if I came across another nv3500 equipped truck may consider a swap. Besides if I put a different motor in the w/t it will sure as hell be a 350 or bigger

Lol fair enough...what about pulling the NV3500 for this truck though and putting an LS 6.0 into the w/t with a TH700R4?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is it just the trans and rear end that needs replacement? (minus all the little stuff that may have migrated to other trucks)

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
I think the radiator has a cracked tank and I'm gonna also replace the timing chain since the crank and cam sensors were throwing a code saying they were not aligned so probably those too while I'm at it. The nv3500 in the w/t needs a rebuild and I don't have any of the clutch components available for a 95+. May have a trans and rear lined up gotta go look into that.