why so many different gear set from one manufacturer for one truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im window shopping right now for gears for my 98 2dr tahoe and I see that most of the big name companies who sell gears have a handful of different part numbers in the same ratio for my truck. When I try to compare them, all the info is the same. I'm just trying to replace the OEM 3.42 gears to 4.10s or so. What gives?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear end size. The first one is for a 8.5 or 8.6 rear end and the last one is for a 8.25 rear end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is the difference between the 411 and the 411A?

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update. I called Motive this morning and asked them what the difference was between the 411 and the 411A rear gears. The 411 are cheaper grade gears which will also be louder. So basically, if you want a slightly better gear set that doesn't make as much noise then go for the Motive gear sets that have an A at the end. The front gear set that I linked above is the only gear set Motive offers for these IFS applications AND they are the same quality as the cheaper built rear gear set.

I did read an article a while back about a trick you can do to the gears to quiet them down a bit. I think it involved taking a dremal tool with sanding drum wheel on it and you sand down the very peak of of the gears. If anyone can confirm this then let me know.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did read an article a while back about a trick you can do to the gears to quiet them down a bit. I think it involved taking a dremal tool with sanding drum wheel on it and you sand down the very peak of of the gears. If anyone can confirm this then let me know.

Now, I admit to never having researched this myself, but that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Just because it worked once doesn't mean it's going to work for you, and I wonder how that has held up over time. Gears are an extremely precise thing, to go hacking on them with a dremel just seems counter productive.