Which one would sound better, and/or have better performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5SPD350

Reaction score
My exhaust is rotted out on my truck right now. I have the stock manifolds. 2.5" pipe into an H pipe (no cats), and two single chamber flowmaster knock offs like the flow 10s with it dumped right after that.

Well they are so rotten that they have a fist size hole in the back of each muffler casing and it doesn't sound very good at all.

I'm looking to purchase a set of Hooker Longtubes for it (92 C1500 350TBI but switching to a 350 Vortec with a Carb and a cam), run no cats, but am undecided from there back.

I'm in between a Flowmaster scavenger Y pipe collector with 2.5 in, 3 in out, and a single 18" dynomax bullet 3 in/3 out with a dump right before rear axle.

Or A Magnaflow X pipe (or equivalent) 2.5 in 2.5 out, with two 18" dynomax bullets 2.5 in / 2.5 out, with them dumped right before the rear axle.

What would give the better sound and/or performance. I know sound is subjective, but I like the smooth, fluid like sound of the LS1. It just sounds tuned when you rev it up. Almost Exotic sounding. I know that has a lot to do with firing order, but what would get me the closest?

One of my favorite exhausts I've heard on a truck is the stock set up on the Silverado RST and Sierra RST with the 4.8L v8. They just sound mean to me. But I'm not sure exactly what they run. I just know that they have JBA shorty headers, and dual tips coming out the back. In between there, no idea.

Help me out!

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtiLoXhyVw

FM y pipe and cat and 12" dynomax race bullet 3"piping out in front of rear wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtiLoXhyVw

From my experience I could feel a huge loss in low end grunt when I just ran a gutted cat with about 6" of pipe after it, but increase in higher rpms.

With my current street legal set up I got my low end grunt back and lost some high end but it is much better suited for the mountains like this.

5SPD350

Reaction score
Doesn't sound bad idling but can't judge the sound much without some revs or wot driving.

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Here's my exhaust I made for my truck. Mine is 5.3 swapped but I'm sure it would sound just as sweet on an sbc.

It's pretty quiet under normal driving and very quiet at idle but it screams like a muscle car at WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my exhaust I made for my truck. Mine is 5.3 swapped but I'm sure it would sound just as sweet on an sbc.

It's pretty quiet under normal driving and very quiet at idle but it screams like a muscle car at WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the Turbo version on my 96, and they are similar by description

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2