Which F***ing header bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I cannot get the last bolt on my passenger side header tight enough, the closed end of the wrench will not fit and the open end slides off. I tried grinding down a wrench but took to much off of it and it changed the grip, so it started stripping the bolt. Not really a problem since it is so loose I can take it out with my hand.

Anyway, has anyone had any luck with something else. The ARPs I have ar 3/8 heads. I have seen some header fasteners that use hex keys but I am not sure if they would be able to torque down the bolt enough or if they would stip. Additionally, I know there are locking bolts....but I dont think I would be able to get them tight enough if the heads are 3/8"....so essentially I would be locking them loose.

If you guys have had any luck with anything else, please let me know or post links. I am getting tired of hearing that faint ticking from the exhaust leak....

Thanks,

Jeff

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my headers i got for my 88 had the hex head bolts with them and mine tightened down fine and never had an exhaust leak the 4yrs i ran it with them

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the spectre header bolts from autozone and yes that one on the pass side is a *****. I have also seen spectre has a small wrench for that I dont remember what I used but Ive had mine on going on 4 years with no leaks.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Allen head bolts can be tightened just fine, ever remove your brake calipers? And I actually use the Auto Zone special Mr. Gasket bolts. I keep a few packs laying around. Really cheap and haven't had any failures. They are 3/8, though. I typically use a Snap On deep, thin walled socket and short wobble extension.

You must be registered for see images attach

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I dont know if I got a one off header production from Hooker to where my primary tube bends different but I have had no luck getting anything on that last bolt.

You guys have given me some good ideas:
1. Hex heads are an option
2. Spectre might sell a thin wrench to use.
3. Stick with my ARP's and get a thin-walled socket.

Any other thoughts, keep em coming!!!

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You might try using a 1/4" drive socket. They are smaller at the base and thinner walled. You will probably break it but they are worth about a buck, not something to cry over.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Go to Fastenal or some other fastener store and get one socket bolt with the same threads and length. Might run you $2.