Headers or iron manifolds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had some pace setter headers a long time ago. Didn't experience that. I mostly went through exhaust leaks that finally pissed me off to get manifolds again. Plus changing number 8 plug sucks bigtime.... now that my manifold is cracked I'm gonna try ceramic coated headers. Well see how it goes....

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had some pace setter headers a long time ago. Didn't experience that. I mostly went through exhaust leaks that finally pissed me off to get manifolds again. Plus changing number 8 plug sucks bigtime.... now that my manifold is cracked I'm gonna try ceramic coated headers. Well see how it goes....
I have ceramic coated and never had a problem, only when I first installed them and had a wire touch the pipe when a clip failed. Just keep them clipped out of the way and you will be good.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have ceramic coated and never had a problem, only when I first installed them and had a wire touch the pipe when a clip failed. Just keep them clipped out of the way and you will be good.
Good to know. I'm ordering ss header bolts/ should I do the same for the flange or just use the provided bolts and washers?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasn't crush bent on earlier 400s not later? My original exhaust on the burb was smooth bends from front to back.
All the ones I have looked at were definitely not crush bent. 99 suburban, 99 Tahoe, the 97 van. They have all been mandrel bent and the ones I have had my eyes on were stainless as well. Stock Express van exhaust, always thought it was kind of goofy to have a resonator ahead of the passenger side cat. The Thorley headers 86'd that resonator. The resonator on one bank reminded me of the old Fords that had a catalytic converter on only one bank. Having those big pipes on the L31 is why I feel shorties made a big difference and ditching that chambered resonator is probably why my L31 loved the Thorley tri-ys.

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the ones I have looked at were definitely not crush bent. 99 suburban, 99 Tahoe, the 97 van. They have all been mandrel bent and they ones I have had my eyes on were stainless as well. Stock Express van exhaust, always thought it was kind of goofy to have a resonator ahead of the passenger side cat. The Thorley headers 86'd that resonator.

That's what I thought, but I don't exactly crawl underneath to check out every 400 I come across lol.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but I don't exactly crawl underneath to check out every 400 I come across lol.
I have owned quite a few and most of them were purchased with mechanical issues. They either got repaired, driven for a while and flipped or parted out in some cases. I also worked on my fair share, working in a shop when these were under 10 year old, untouched trucks.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The manifolds fit the G-van chassis with ease. The manifolds are 2.5" exit, GM 2.5" donuts fit them and I used Pypes 2.5" big block head pipes with them. While I was working on test fitting everything. I switched the outlet flanges from the included bolts to studs and nuts and from gaskets to donuts. I ended up picking up two complete sets of L31 heat shields. One for this engine and another set should a pair of these find their way on my 97 in the future.

Still haven't cleaned that transmission I see. :Big Laugh:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The resonator on one bank reminded me of the old Fords that had a catalytic converter on only one bank.
That's kinda like our '02 Q45, it had 3 cats, 2 mufflers, and 2 resonators :rolleyes:

The 1st 2 cats were on the exhaust manifolds so, when the cats went out, you had to replace the manifolds too - up to $700 per! That didn't last very long, when it came time to get an emissions test, I junked the car since by then the PCM bricked.