where to start (performance)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can understand how people doubt mail order tunes. I spent hours researching tunes, until I settled on BB. I could not find a shop near me that would dyno tune my Tahoe with the black box.

Blackbear is one of maybe a handful of companies that I suggest to people. The customer service is great. Justin (the owner?) really knows his ****. I have probably 30+ emails back and fourth to him over the past few years. He has helped me diagnose some issues I was having that weren't related to the tune. I did get a chance to drive my Tahoe for a few miles before the engine rebuild, and it was an incredible difference for the $250 +/- that it cost.

Initially, I had him do the 89 tune. I had zero issues with the vehicle after the rebuild (besides a minor misfire at idle that I still can't track down). I then went from 3.42 to 4.10 gears, so I sent my computer back in (for the cost of shipping only), to have Justin adjust the speedo for the new gears. While he had it, I asked him what else he could do to make it run better. He said he could put the 91+ octane tune on it, so he did. I got it back, and it had a very noticeable difference.

Now, I'm not naive enough to believe that a mail order tune, such as that from Blackbear, is better than a dyno tune. Obviously, tuning to real-time data from the vehicle is always going to be a better option, providing that the tuner knows what they're doing. I promise you that if you get a tune from them, your money will be well spent.

Well said. I also wouldn't hesitate to spend money on a Black Bear Performance tune, even with heavy modifications. Justin has gone above and beyond to help me with the tune in my V6 truck over the years. He's altered the tune many times at my request (always free except the cost of shipping), including when I swapped transmissions from a 4L60E to a 4L80E. I offered to pay him to do it and he wouldn't accept anything except the usual shipping charges. Awesome people, awesome results, awesome customer service. An in-person dyno tune is the only way you're going to do any better, and that's probably going to cost you more than the $300 that Black Bear charges.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know I'm responding to this post about three months late, but I checked and Uncle Ben has logged on within the last few weeks so this may be helpful to him.

But I don’t know about the intake. Is just a drop in air filter going to do the job? Or should a guy get something like a full k&n intake?

In my opinion you'd be better off leaving the factory intake alone and running a factory paper filter. They flow pretty well as it is. If you do want to run the best possible aftermarket intake, the only one that's an improvement over the factory design is made by Volant. K&N and all the other companies that produce intakes for these trucks use an open box design instead of the sealed filter box like the factory intake and the Volant, and they will draw hot air out of the engine compartment instead of cool air through the hole in the fender. Also I'm not a fan of oiled gauze filters like K&N. I've had the oil leak into the intake ducting and foul sensors before.

Also should a guy upgrade the spider injector assembly before a bb tune? How about the fuel pump?

Both of those are basic maintenance items. It won't matter if you do them before or after the tune, as long as everything is working properly now. If you have any issues with how the truck runs it would be best to sort them out before the tune.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well said. I also wouldn't hesitate to spend money on a Black Bear Performance tune, even with heavy modifications. Justin has gone above and beyond to help me with the tune in my V6 truck over the years. He's altered the tune many times at my request (always free except the cost of shipping), including when I swapped transmissions from a 4L60E to a 4L80E. I offered to pay him to do it and he wouldn't accept anything except the usual shipping charges. Awesome people, awesome results, awesome customer service. An in-person dyno tune is the only way you're going to do any better, and that's probably going to cost you more than the $300 that Black Bear charges.

The only thing i will add to this is that custom tuning is beneficial/necessary when making large changes that affect airflow and how much timing the engine wants. Cam/head/intake manifold/displacement changes should all probably be custom tuned for, that said if the MAF is left stock it can do a lot to keep the airflow the ecm see correct if the tune is changed to run solely off the MAF.

A "standard" mail order tune is going to satisfy the needs of 97% of people on here.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but didnt want to start a new one when this is one of the more recent ones discussing the tuning topic.
I am trying to get in contact with Black Bear Performance about a mail order tune for my upcoming cam swap in my LQ4 swapped Suburban. Seems like I had a hard time getting in touch with them last year around this time about ordering a tune for my ls swap, and to delete VATS and alternator codes when it wouldnt start (the same 0411 pcm had already had those disabled previously).
Has anyone been in contact with them recently or have a better way to contact them vs email or the tune request form on their website?