what trans is best to replace the 4L60E?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71rider88

Reaction score
I want to do away with the electronic 4L60E which is best to go with a turbo 400 4x4 i want the truck to be bullet proof with the trans i do towing and truck has 35's on it now and is lifted I had the trans rebuilt 1 time already was fine for a while and it still acts up so i was told to go with the turbo 400 trans out of the older trucks any thoughts and yes i know im rambling sorry its a 94 k1500 has 4:88 gears front and rear thanks in advance.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any particular reason you're trying to get rid of the electronic part of the trans?

I'm in the process of swapping from a 4L60E to a 4L80E in my red '97, and that's what I would recommend if you don't mind keeping the electronics.

Z71rider88

Reaction score
Any particular reason you're trying to get rid of the electronic part of the trans?

I'm in the process of swapping from a 4L60E to a 4L80E in my red '97, and that's what I would recommend if you don't mind keeping the electronics.

Because I already had it rebuilt cuz it lost 3rd and 4th and when it got cold it seemed like 3rd was hanging up already after being upgraded only has 35k on it just irritating to have to dish out a arm and a leg to get it redone. I had a 86 with a turbo 400 4wd and never had one issue out of it and I beat on that truck like there was no tomm lol I just feel it’s stronger I guess

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The electronics aren't what makes the 4L60E weak, it's everything else. I spent $2700 having one rebuilt with every possible upgrade and my V6 truck still killed it in about 10k miles.

A TH400 is going to require pretty much the same mods as a 4L80E. The 4L80E already has an overdrive and is just as strong as a TH400. No brainer IMO.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of 4l60e rebuilds fail prematurely because the rebuilder didn't go through the trans well enough. 3/4 clutch packs burn out because of easily overlooked worn valve body components that aren't included in most rebuild kits.

Correction-the 3/4 clutch packs burn out because of a piston in the drum, and most good rebuild kits will come with a new one. I wouldn't put it past a rebuilder go skip over it though.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can agree with the rebuilding part. It depends on how well the trans shop goes through it. They charged me $1650 on a full rebuild on my 4L60E and he went through it completely, and even upgraded a few things, as well as upgrading to a slightly higher stall converter.

That was done at 196K and she has 219K on her now. The transmission is pretty bulletproof now.

Most smaller shops or single owner shops will do a more thorough job than the big name companies. Also, it is best to look for a trans shop that is constantly busy. That shows that the shop is very good as compared to shops that have a quick turn around. (This is at least what I was told).

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can agree with the rebuilding part. It depends on how well the trans shop goes through it. They charged me $1650 on a full rebuild on my 4L60E and he went through it completely, and even upgraded a few things, as well as upgrading to a slightly higher stall converter.

That was done at 196K and she has 219K on her now. The transmission is pretty bulletproof now.

Most smaller shops or single owner shops will do a more thorough job than the big name companies. Also, it is best to look for a trans shop that is constantly busy. That shows that the shop is very good as compared to shops that have a quick turn around. (This is at least what I was told).

Shop that did mine was a single owner and I went to him because he had been there 25 years, long story short I had the same problem I started with, after several return trips I seen more and more un professional crap out of him , I started the trouble shooting myself and reading endless GM service bulletins, I found the problem and fixed it myself. I wish I would have done it to start with... $ 2700.00 later . And the 25 year shop is closed up and gone and has a one star rating . I guess I got a rebuild and a fresh transmission. But after my experience with the single owner I am not so sure !

Reaction score
Don't go with a turbo 400. Do a well built 4l60e or a 4l80e. The th400 has a shorter first gear which will make it harder to get going on those 35's and to run 70 mph on those tires with that gear you'll be turning 3500rpm roughly compared to the 4l60e's 2200ish. oh and no converter lockup on the th400 either.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shop that did mine was a single owner and I went to him because he had been there 25 years, long story short I had the same problem I started with, after several return trips I seen more and more un professional crap out of him , I started the trouble shooting myself and reading endless GM service bulletins, I found the problem and fixed it myself. I wish I would have done it to start with... $ 2700.00 later . And the 25 year shop is closed up and gone and has a one star rating . I guess I got a rebuild and a fresh transmission. But after my experience with the single owner I am not so sure !

I guess the experience is different from location to location. Mine was a small private shop and was always busy but the guy did an awesome job, not only with mine but with everyone elses. He was also proud to show off his GMT400 Suburban. Perhaps it was something that he related to me due to owning a GMT, but he was highly recommended and alot of people I know took their cars/trucks there too.