What is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GHOST01

Reaction score
Good morning all. Just wanted to get the word straight from the experts here. I have a 93 K2500 Sub. Been thinking about a duramax max in place of the bb. I've heard you can swap the while body over to a Silverado hd of a certain year and go from there. Is this true or would it be a standard engine and trans swap with some harness work and other things? Any help would be appreciated.

Jwelar

Reaction score
This is an older thread but I’ll chime in. Doing a Duramax swap is going to cost mucho dinero!! Engine, tranny, transfer case alone are going to be a hefty price. And if you do a custom combo the adapters are going to eat budget as well. Getting the engine mounts correct and all the engine management between the computer and the technology differences are going to be a PITA as well. These swaps go for anywhere from $50k and up from what I’ve seen on the interwebs and that’s with a donor vehicle for the swap. For cool factor it’s a win. For cost efficiency going with a crate engine of the same that’s coming out is probably the best bet. Engines of the GMT400 era were built to last. Not the prettiest belles at the ball but they work and for a very long time. That’s just my $.005 on the subject.

lbeninger

Reaction score
Good morning all. Just wanted to get the word straight from the experts here. I have a 93 K2500 Sub. Been thinking about a duramax max in place of the bb. I've heard you can swap the while body over to a Silverado hd of a certain year and go from there. Is this true or would it be a standard engine and trans swap with some harness work and other things? Any help would be appreciated.
Ide have to agree with jwelar on this one, although, consider instead a Cummins swap.
I've done a few of these on international at the dealership and in Ford's to get rid of the 6.0 and 6.4.
It's worth every penny, but, the crate engine BB is most cost effective.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a vid I found about dmax swapping a k1500. Not long but anything helps right?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a vid I found about dmax swapping a k1500. Not long but anything helps right?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sweet. I'm favorable to the LB7 myself. No EGR. No catalytic converters. Don't mind the issue with the fuel injectors. Just another opportunity to wrench on the truck.

I'm curious though, they say the parts came from a 2006 (which would be LBZ) and then towards the end of the video he says, "Can't beat the sound of an LB7 engine..."

Did they use an LB7 or LBZ?

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet. I'm favorable to the LB7 myself. No EGR. No catalytic converters. Don't mind the issue with the fuel injectors. Just another opportunity to wrench on the truck.

I'm curious though, they say the parts came from a 2006 (which would be LBZ) and then towards the end of the video he says, "Can't beat the sound of an LB7 engine..."

Did they use an LB7 or LBZ?
Probably an LB7 then

Jwelar

Reaction score
If we’re bringing Cummins into the mix….. I’d say go for a 6bt or, depending on Intended use, the R2.8. Forgo the 4bt unless you run a paint business and need a mobile can shaker though. lol For an off-road rig the R2.8 backed by a 6 speed should be very capable even on this size rig. The more gears you give it the better off you’ll be on the trail.