What is this hole???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Freeman

Reaction score
Hey guys. Was cleaning some stuff out of the bed of my truck where ive been doing some engine repairs getting it ready for smog and title transfer after buying it last summer. noticed this hole on top of the cab right behind light. anyone know what its for and where i could get a plug??? im guessing its to allow access to the light wiring since you can see it right at the hole... but the plug was gone...

thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Ron Freeman

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely remains of some kind of aftermarket antenna mount.
Ok. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there for some reason or not. I didn't remember one being there on buddies truck but never know. I'll have to figure out a way to cover it until I get a cb for the truck this summer. Thanks guys!!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, it was for some antenna. I could see where the ring of base of the antenna where it sat on the roof. If you have some kind of radio / antenna shop as in communication type of shop, I would stop in there to see if they had some kind of rubber 'boot' to go in there so you don't get rain inside of the cab when it rains.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X3, or 4 or whatever on an antenna hole. You should be able to find a rubber grommet to fit that hole.
You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Ok. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there for some reason or not. I didn't remember one being there on buddies truck but never know. I'll have to figure out a way to cover it until I get a cb for the truck this summer. Thanks guys!!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

For temporary forever patches like that, aluminum HVAC foil tape works. Aggressive adhesive, works good.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welding is the rite way to fix the hole, but,,, to do so, you have to remove the head liner, the plastic trim that holds it in place, the 3ed brake light. When you remove it, you most likely will need to replace it. You will also need to put a backer over the hole, so fire from welding is not poring into the truck. Also I just had my head liner recovered, (Monday). The guy at the upholstery shop (the owner of the shop) would not remove the wide plastic strip (next to the rear window.) He said there are 2 metal clips that hold this in place, and they brake very easy. As for the rubber grommet, it will take time for it to fail, several years, and then it can be replaced with a new one. If you are going to have the truck painted, then yes by all means weld up the hole. As for tape, any tape will fail in time. The roof sees a lot of heat, and this will cause the glue on the tape to fail, in time.