What is this called...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Super short and all black plastic is different. I'm not sure what the idea behind them is. Pushing stuff doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Super short and all black plastic is different. I'm not sure what the idea behind them is. Pushing stuff doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Beats the hell out of pushing it myself. Personally I've wanted some of these for a while now but just haven't gotten off my ass to research them. I shove dead cars up my short steepish driveway sometimes and these would sort of flatten the pointy bumper out a bit. As it is I end up leaning on the front license plate plastic deal.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
They do work very nice for pushing other vehicles around. Obviously working best on metal bumpers and fairly flat ground.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I still have them on my old bumper, I changed bumpers and no longer run that bumper but here's what they looked like.
They were put on there from the factory.
I always called them bumper guards..

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are called bumperettes. Both of our duallies have them.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yah, factory stuff and what they're referred to probably depends on the year. My '89 GMC brochure lists them as "Guards, front bumper: Black painted with black impact pad. (Requires rub-strip type front bumper.)"

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are bumper guards. As with most things there are different names in different regions. The OEMS don't even consistently use the same name. In the 50's some called them over riders, they kept cars from over riding the bumper and hitting the grille or body, at least at low speeds.
They are not for 5 mph gov't mandates, there is no absorption. They really only might help for that little nudge you get or give in a parking lot stall, same for the impact strip.
Some people like the looks of them, I never did, especially on old muscle cars. The rubber parts usually get distorted after a few years.
A customer once told me they were for park by feel.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Right, the only true 5mph bumpers IMO have shock absorbers built into them and "move" when bumped, like my Town Car has. Anything fixed solid is not what I'd consider a 5mph or 2.5mph bumper.

Coroner81

Reaction score
I lucked out and found one of these on Craigslist a few years back. Just to make a quick note, a bull bar will fit with one of these bumpers, but itll be sitting right against those bumper-doos.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I went and pulled them but unfortunately one of the nuts was super rusted (figures) and while unscrewing it, broke the bolt out :( hopefully it’ll still mount tightly