What do I need to replace? Need diagnostic help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HARP

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a '95 Chevy K1500 Z-71 5.7L. I bought it new when I was a kid. Nearly 20 years ago I hit a bridge curb and had some work done. I don't know what part was replaced, but I know I've never been able to get that side greased since then. I got the used part cheap and I seem to remember them saying just run it till it breaks.

I'm no mechanic, but I can do some wrenching these days if I know what I'm getting into. Problem is I don't know what part I need to find and replace, or what else is involved. I'm hoping one of you guys can take a look at the pics below and diagnose it for me.

Thanks in advance,
HARP

Left Picture: Passenger front wheel, taken from the back looking forward (used part). In this picture, the grease fitting is facing the wheel and is so close it can't be greased at all.

Right Picture: Driver front wheel, taken from the back looking forward (original part).

You must be registered for see images attach

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's your lower ball joint.
You will have to press it out, and reinstall it with the fitting facing so you can grease it.
Might as well replace them with new ones.

Last edited:

HARP

Reaction score
That's your lower ball joint.
You will have to press it out, and reinstall it with the fitting facing so you can grease it.
Might as well replace them with new ones.

Thanks.
I'm shopping for new right now. I think that one's off an old Tahoe or something . . . I really can't remember. I meant to ask if there were any special tools involved.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can borrow a ball joint press from just about any chain parts store with a deposit down in case you don't return it. If you have never done one before set aside a whole day in case of hard lessons and old rusty nuts and a bolts. Watch some you tube videos and don't mess around when it comes to unloading the control arm if you leave the torsion bar loaded. Always use jack stands and I've never done one on these trucks but if you have trouble getting the new ball joint back into the knuckle an extra set of hands and long pry bar really make it easy.

roosterbrucey

Reaction score
just did this a few weeks back on a buddys truck. took the whole control arm and used a press. definitely follow beatup98's advice and keep ur feet and hands out the way cause those ball joints can rocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk