What can be done about this flaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This paint job was done 3.5 years ago and was done the right way. Sanded to bare metal, the whole 9 yards. What I think happened was we put the heavy aluminum bed rails back on way too soon and the paint couldn't set in the summer heat. Where's it's currently flaking is where there was massive air bubbles after I pulled the rails about a year ago. Will this spread to the good paint? If not I can get new rails. But what can be done to fix this? I've kept good care of the paint but I don't know if it could be matched. I will be taking it back to the place that painted it this week. Damn shame, everywhere else is flawless but the bed rails.

You must be registered for see images attach

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I do have the option of repainting just the bed rails? I didn't know what all was involved in repainting a bad spot or something like that.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That paint damage must be extremely disappointing, I can kinda feel your pain just looking at the pictures.

I'm not a paint expert, but my gut feeling is that if it is not fixed, the damage will spread. I would see if the paint shop will work together with you to fix this, maybe do the labour for free if you pay for the materials.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That paint damage must be extremely disappointing, I can kinda feel your pain just looking at the pictures.

I'm not a paint expert, but my gut feeling is that if it is not fixed, the damage will spread. I would see if the paint shop will work together with you to fix this, maybe do the labour for free if you pay for the materials.
Oh man it broke my heart. I knew it was a bad spot but I thought I could get by and maybe get some bed rails but I reckon not.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
It's already rusting. You have to deal with that too. If you don't stop it now it's only going to get worse.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, I'd repaint the bed rails for sure.

****Edit**** By the way that paint lifted up right to the metal, I'm going to say the surface was not prepped properly, or wasn't clean to begin with.
I agree, unless you do an over the rail bed linner