What all do I keep/need???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InsteG8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up with a 99 Z28 auto w/107k miles. After tossing around the idea to fix it or use it as donor, I think I'm going to LS swap my Tahoe. It's a clean, low mileage car but needs a few body parts and a rear end. Don't really feel like throwing cash at it, has a salvage title.

So before I start breaking it down and sell it for parts what all do I need to keep?

Donor: 1999 Z28 auto, stock from intake to tailpipe.

Tahoe: 1996 2dr auto, stock with exception of 4/6 drop and wheels.

Thanks for the help, Roy

Last edited:

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure I can help, but those wheels would look awesome on my Blazer!

Great looking Tahoe BTW.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
All the engine wiring, computer, manifolds unless you put headers on it. Intake can be made from parts at auto zone and exhaust won't fit obviously. You might want the transmission, not sure on that, probably at least the bellhousing. Someone who's actually done the swap can help you more but that can be a baseline to go off of if nobody replies

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

InsteG8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I can help, but those wheels would look awesome on my Blazer!

Great looking Tahoe BTW.
Thanks, just picked up the wheels yesterday hoping it was just a bent wheel, but axle is bent.

All the engine wiring, computer, manifolds unless you put headers on it. Intake can be made from parts at auto zone and exhaust won't fit obviously. You might want the transmission, not sure on that, probably at least the bellhousing. Someone who's actually done the swap can help you more but that can be a baseline to go off of if nobody replies

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8
Thanks for reply..... Figured the main items are engine, trans, related wiring, computer, manifolds (if they fit). But like I said I have the whole car in good running condition with everything working, so I don't want to sale something I'm going to need later.

jlcms2007

Reaction score
Transmission won't be much difference maybe a few hard parts. Easiest thing with harness would be retrofit original harness on tahoe and repin pcm connections to fit ls computer you will have to get VATS programmed out lextech is your man for pinout charts. Let me know if you want his email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InsteG8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission won't be much difference maybe a few hard parts. Easiest thing with harness would be retrofit original harness on tahoe and repin pcm connections to fit ls computer you will have to get VATS programmed out lextech is your man for pinout charts. Let me know if you want his email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hook it up.....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just keep the car until you're done with the swap into the tahoe then when you're done sell off the rest? That way you don't have to worry about accidentally selling a crucial part you need.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your list is correct. Keep engine, tranny, pcm, most of the wire harness and if not doing headers I would keep the exhaust to the second O2 sensor. I would also use the electric car their harness from the Camaro. You don't need the fuel system, the 96 and up fuel pump is commonly used in swaps. You will have to notch the frame to keep the Camaro a/c pump. The only other option that I am aware of is to use a truck intake manifold and front accessories and use a kit from Lextec to reuse the 96 a/c pump and not have to notch the frame.

waddyboy

Reaction score
Painless wiring harness makes a wiring kit to plug in play. It would be alot easier. I've done a couple.

craig98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need to keep the tranny. Only thing different is the fly wheel. Both are 4l60s. Transdapt is who I got got my fly wheel from. All I pulled out when I did my swap was engine and harness. I didn't use the factory 5.7 ecu and repin it to the ls computer. Ripped all that b.s. Out and I only used the ls ecu.