what about these headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never had any, but ceramic coated headers are suppose to be the best, for looks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO if you don't want to deal with painted (AKA rust) then stainless is the only logical choice. Even the ceramic coatings will wear off after enough abuse.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been contemplating a new exhaust system. Everything I find is cat back but I also want to get long tube headers(because I read they are better than shorties). If I get long tube headers I'm not positive my y-pipe will bolt to them and I am planning on deleting the cat(don't need to pass emissions and don't want to spend $ on a new one). The problem is all the exhaust kits I'm finding seem to be cat back and I'm not sure how it will tie into the headers? Any suggestions on parts? I'd like to avoid having to have something welded at a shop I was sort of hoping to just get something I could bolt on/together.

My exhaust is stock atm but it's also rusted all to hell. My tail pipes after my stock muffler were lost about a year ago and now my muffler is getting ready to fall off lol.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I never would have gotten rid of the Edelbrock's I had.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been contemplating a new exhaust system. Everything I find is cat back but I also want to get long tube headers(because I read they are better than shorties). If I get long tube headers I'm not positive my y-pipe will bolt to them and I am planning on deleting the cat(don't need to pass emissions and don't want to spend $ on a new one). The problem is all the exhaust kits I'm finding seem to be cat back and I'm not sure how it will tie into the headers? Any suggestions on parts? I'd like to avoid having to have something welded at a shop I was sort of hoping to just get something I could bolt on/together.

My exhaust is stock atm but it's also rusted all to hell. My tail pipes after my stock muffler were lost about a year ago and now my muffler is getting ready to fall off lol.

You're not going to find a mass produced cat-back system that will work with long tubes, period. Either stick with shorties or you're going to have to do some custom work somewhere.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was hoping maybe there was like a complete system from the exhaust ports back lol. I dunno. Is that what shorties were designed for? Just to replace the manifolds?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is that what shorties were designed for? Just to replace the manifolds?

They flow quite a bit better than the restrictive factory manifolds, but yes. They replace the manifolds while still tying into the factory intermediate pipe.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's really what you like. SST will turn blue from the heat in time. Painted will need to be repainted, as for ceramic, like I said I never had a set. A thick flange that bolts to the head, will tend to leak less than a thin flange. Cheep headers, are cheep for a reason. Any of the name brand headers should be good. As for the Summit's, well that's what I have, and I can say they are very good for the price, but they are a painted header.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Painted will need to be repainted

Or you can do what I do with my Pacesetter shorties and just let 'em rust. :gr_grin: Lots easier than pulling them off and painting them all the time. As cheap as they are I figure screw it, when they rust through I'll buy another set. Or maybe decide to buy stainless considering I'm doing a little better financially these days.

1994chevymanual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just saying back 3 years ago when i had my exhaust redone they made a all new "off road Y pipe" that ditched my cat and that horrendously restrictive y pipe and it made a better sound and a little more acceleration