what about these headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That and the fact they look like crap after a year. But atleast they're not leaking. I think that leak is coming from my manifold gaskets I have to replace but just don't feel like it.

Sent from my iPhone

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a set of Summit shorty headers on my 97 5.7L Vortec. I have had these headers for 3 or 4 years. They area painted header, so the paint burnt off sortly after I installed them. I repaint them every so often with high temp paint. I did fight leaks for a while. I tried several different header gaskets, only to find my leak issues were where the header bolts to the exhaust pipe. I ended up getting some metal donut gaskets for a 1972 C-10 with a 350. I had to adapt the flange by bending it into a cup to accept the donut gasket. I haven't had a leak sense. Also I used grade 8 bolts to bolt up the donut gaskets with, so I could put them extra tight. I love my headers, and it has been a year or so sense I did the donut gaskets. No leaks what so ever. I did have to move the dipstick on the install, and it can be a little hard to get to the spark plugs, but the trade off in low end performance is worth it IMO.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Every ordinary uncoated steel header I've ever had has rusted, completely and thoroughly, no matter what I paint them with, within a year or so.

I've just accepted this as a fact of life, and if I really care, I buy stainless.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
Summits are made by Flow Tech I think, so read flow tech reviews- I have bought a couple sets, and I didn't like the summit brand shortys. I got the Flowtech Afterburners in my 81 cutlass, and those were nice- in a gbody with a chevy swap they literally slid right in from the top and woke the motor up- but I hate routing exhaust around crossmembers and stuff with long tubes

I used heddman jeep small block swap shorty headers in my 1981 C10, and those were nice- ball flange type and if you need an 02, weld it in the pipe below the flange.

I think it was these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-69520/overview/make/chevrolet looks like they come with a 2.5" collector now...
You must be registered for see images attach

I put springs on the collector flange bolts and they never leaked. Had them in my truck about 4 years before I sold it

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Every ordinary uncoated steel header I've ever had has rusted, completely and thoroughly, no matter what I paint them with, within a year or so.

I've just accepted this as a fact of life, and if I really care, I buy stainless.

I felt this same way until I used the VHT header paint.

I coated a set of Modified headers in it before last season. They still looked great at the end of the season. Keep in mind, these things get blasted with mud, sand, and rocks constantly. The sand and mud will hit the hot headers and actually create clay covering them. You've got to chip it off and blast it with the power washer.

Get VHT header paint. It's the ****.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score

I coated a set of Modified headers in it before last season. They still looked great at the end of the season. Keep in mind, these things get blasted with mud, sand, and rocks constantly. The sand and mud will hit the hot headers and actually create clay covering them. You've got to chip it off and blast it with the power washer.

I actually painted a 390 FE intake in that before I sold it on eBay lol, I'll have to give it a whirl.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

That's the paint I used. It has been over a year sense I painted mine, and they still are ok for now, but they will need a redo this summer. There is still no rust on them at all.

1994chevymanual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
last question how do you guys feel about gibson headers? how long will that finish hold up i dont want to spent more than 400 on headers and i dont want painted