Weird door pin bushing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to replace the door pins and bushings on my front drivers door. Got everything apart and cleaned up. Popped the bushing in the top hinge no problem. Went to the bottom and neither bushing fits on top or bottom of the lower hinge. And just so I know I'm not crazy I actually checked the reviews for the part online and there was one other person claiming to have the same issue. None of the tutorial videos on Youtube mentioned this. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this and if they just drilled the hinges bigger or?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Are they Dorman pins? Because they are known to have a universal not fitting condition.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've bought lots of Dorman kits in the past and they fit. Dunno about what they may be selling today. Are you 100% sure you bought the right kit? Because many of the other GM kits do not have the right size parts for a GMT400 truck. There are 2 different sizes for each hinge, but top and bottom hinge use the same 2 different sizes. Shouldn't be any fit issue if you bought the correct part #. For Dorman it's #38416 ... but my personal preference would be to get them from GM instead.

Richard

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did end up getting them from GM. They still didn't fit on the bottom hinge. Drilled out the top one to make it fit, waiting for my drill to charge to drill the bottom

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
The last Dorman set I bought, came with two set's of bushings. One didn't fit the hinge, one set didn't fit the pins lol.

This was for my C10, I wound up drilling the ones that fit the hinges and not the pins out to 11/32 or something and bam, perfect fit.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Bushings are different sizes, you have 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones. For the top pin the bushings go in the Hinge on the Body, for the lower pin the bushings go into the door. You shouldn't have had to drill anything out. The most I've done is stick the pins/bushings in the freezer for an hour or so before replacing them.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
This wasn't on a GMT400, it was on a Square, but when the serrated part of the pin measures 9.44mm and the bushing measures 8.42, well, my freezer doesn't get that cold lol.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol in that case I would imagine not. As for the kits they sell for the GMT400 I've not had any issues using dormans, aside from screwing up a few bushings from installing them wrong.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I have a pair of new doors for my GMT that will get a set of pins as well, so I guess I'll find out shortly lol.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In another thread on this, I read that the pins and bushings from Johnson's, a body shop supply jobber, were the best ones, so I ordered them. I just have to find the time to install them, hoping that they actually fit, of course.

I plan to use a come along to support the weight of the door, hanging it from the rafters in my garage. Also bought the tool to compress the spring on the mechanism that holds the door open. Found one at an O'Reilys for about $8.00. Performance tool or something like that.

Will report out after i get this job done, hopefully this week.