Wanting to know more about 383s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
So bye bye 383 and bbc ideas hello ls world. And since my truck is 4x4 will be doing some hauling and playing lq4 procharged is in the blueprints now.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
True but I've never heard of anyone saying they dont want more power

I'm actually not unhappy with the power she has now, and it's not tuned........my bikes on the other hand....are a different story.

I keep threatening to get her dynoed, or some box tuner, to see what the outcome will be. I have ceramic JBA shorties, JBA single side out and a sweet Volant airbox....backed by a crate 4L70 and custom torque converter....3.42's and 265's. I get 16 mpg on the highway at 70.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll be tossing my 383 on dyno once I get er 100%. I’m assuming you’ve seen my thread?? 400+hp 450+tq as per what builder claims..

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had put my last setup on the dyno.
But my first turbo on the LQ4 was a throw together rear mount and runnin thru a 4l80e in 2nd gear with TC locked it made 460hp 540tq.
It made over 475 TQ from 2400 or 2600rpms.
And I was trying to learn how to tune so no telling what it would have made if I knew what I was doing.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had put my last setup on the dyno.
But my first turbo on the LQ4 was a throw together rear mount and runnin thru a 4l80e in 2nd gear with TC locked it made 460hp 540tq.
It made over 475 TQ from 2400 or 2600rpms.
And I was trying to learn how to tune so no telling what it would have made if I knew what I was doing.

I'm all for NA builds, but this is just hard to argue with when looking at price vs power, its that's the only consideration anyway.

OR turbo a 383 haha

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm all for NA builds, but this is just hard to argue with when looking at price vs power, its that's the only consideration anyway.

OR turbo a 383 haha
Oh me too.
Turbo does add some complexity to a gas burner. But if you use good quality parts and not a Chinese turbo it will last a long time.
But if you just put a correct size turbo on and don't get greedy with the power it will last.

I started using water meth injection too during the summer. Using -20* Windsheild washer fluid to inject in the cold side after the intercooler helped a bunch. I didn't tune for it incase I had a pump or controller failure.
Only adjusted timing for the IAT spark so when it sprayed and cooled off the intake charge it would pick up some power.

If I had to do it over again I'd just run a stock engine with a set of LS6 valve springs and try a borg warner S366 with the largest Water/Air intercooler I could fit.

I've got a 2500HD with a extremely high mileage 6.0 I want to test a S468 turbo on.