Vortec with Carb swap into 92 TBI truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratrod312

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a swap like this on my own, so please bear with me. I've got a 92 C1500, 4.3 AT, and my goal is to swap a 1997 Vortec 305 with a carb into it. I have an old quadrajet that I plan to use, that I had removed from my wrecked G-body cutlass. I know I will have many more questions as time goes on, but at the moment I am trying to find what I will need as far as mounting the carb onto the intake, see attached pictures.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 8

Ratrod312

Reaction score
Question, why swap in a 305? its a small up step from the 4.3. what about a swap to a 350?
I would definitely prefer a 350, however this 305 was free, and runs great. My dad removed it when swapping a 350 into his 97. I have a small budget on this truck, as it is just mainly used for work.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you buy that manifold? You need a spreadbore manifold or get an adapter ( can you say restrictor plate) from someone like Advance Adapters, if they still make them. You realize your plan has some big obstacles. That may be way to much carb for a 305. Have you tuned a spreadbore quadrajet before?

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Carb isn't to big, You can adjust the Quadrajet when the 4 barrel come in.
Yes, you will need the adaptor for the carb, It not that restrictive.
Drop in an HEI, get a return bypass regulator and your good to go
You may have to do some oil pressure gauge/fuel pump wiring.
All of that info is available on this forum

Ratrod312

Reaction score
Carb isn't to big, You can adjust the Quadrajet when the 4 barrel come in.
Yes, you will need the adaptor for the carb, It not that restrictive.
Drop in an HEI, get a return bypass regulator and your good to go
You may have to do some oil pressure gauge/fuel pump wiring.
All of that info is available on this forum
Thank you, I have ordered the adapter and I already have the HEI distributor. As for the fuel pressure regulator, is it a must that I get one that has the return? I believe the stock TBI fuel pump only puts out about 13 PSI, as compared to the 60+ from a vortec truck, which would definitely need one. Please correct me if Im wrong, and I appreciate the info!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still use a bypass regulator, these pumps aren't designed to be dead-headed.