Vortec motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
All Gen 1 small blocks were 1 pc rear main seal and hydraulic roller cam compatible since about 1987. TBI blocks also do not have the mechanical fuel pump pad opened up for a pushrod. The main differences between vortec and 1987-1995 non vortec blocks are easily nullified, GM even offers a kit to put hydraulic roller cams in 1987- 1995 blocks. Main difference is the heads and subsequent intake manifold. As far as vortec heads, EngineQuest makes a vortec replacement with more meat in critical areas to negate cracking issues with the originals for nearly the same amount of money as stock GM replacements or rebuilding originals. In the end there are numerous options.

I find this true. There is an episode of Engine Masters that proves this. But, the OP just wants something to put around with good mileage for a few years.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:
Reaction score
5.3s do NOT make more torque. Furthermore, a lot came stock with 4.8 pistons. I have one.

GM crate can't be beat it's like $2,000 with free shipping from Summit. I'd do that or stroke what you have. And learn some damn punctuation.
No. Alot of 5.3's did not come with flat top pistons.

Reaction score
All Gen 1 small blocks were 1 pc rear main seal and hydraulic roller cam compatible since about 1987. TBI blocks also do not have the mechanical fuel pump pad opened up for a pushrod. The main differences between vortec and 1987-1995 non vortec blocks are easily nullified, GM even offers a kit to put hydraulic roller cams in 1987- 1995 blocks. Main difference is the heads and subsequent intake manifold. As far as vortec heads, EngineQuest makes a vortec replacement with more meat in critical areas to negate cracking issues with the originals for nearly the same amount of money as stock GM replacements or rebuilding originals. In the end there are numerous options.
Some of the blocks that got put in the trucks have the bosses to mount the spider down, but they were not drilled and tapped.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the blocks that got put in the trucks have the bosses to mount the spider down, but they were not drilled and tapped.
I forgot to mention a note on that as well. My '87 tbi has the bosses and a hole for a mechanical fuel pump and is in a 1/2t truck.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What all did you have to do to run this engine and where did you purchase it? also where in KC are you? Im SKC in Pleasant Hill.
Hey, KCMO! Just West of Grandview. I purchased from Summit. I did do some work to it. I added 1.6 roller rockers, 1" sppacer on the intake (some mild porting on the lower), 36 lb injectors (windjammer) fuel pump, headers. I would let ya take it for a spin but have the top half pulled apart at the moment. New cam, heads and a Pro flo intake.

The Blueprint produce ran great right outa the crate. Great torque and okay upper end power. I attempted to tune the black box but ultimately went 0411.

I may have the intake/injectors for sale since I'm going a different route.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38303ct

Last edited:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You still looking for someone to rebuild an engine for you Barry? I've got word on a couple guys who do good work in my neck of the woods.