Vortec motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OOOOR, You can get a 5.3 with computer and get some 4.8 pistons with a cam and boom! you will have more torque and horsepower for a few bones.

5.3s do NOT make more torque. Furthermore, a lot came stock with 4.8 pistons. I have one.

GM crate can't be beat it's like $2,000 with free shipping from Summit. I'd do that or stroke what you have. And learn some damn punctuation.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
crate motor is awesome choice. just get torque wrench and check it over. mistakes happen and you can catch it if you check it. im rebuilding my motor at machine shop and its not cheaper than the crate motor. its a 2 month wait here for the machine shop. could get a crate alot faster

Barry cowan

Reaction score
Would love to do a 5.3 swap but he’ll it’s an old Tahoe I’m just looking for something to last me at least 3 or 4 years as a good daily I got a 5.3 in my 2000 Sierra and it’s been good to me but hell its got a rcx 6in and not a great daily for gas but I ltz can be done just not very practical appreciate all the advice everyone

Barry cowan

Reaction score
One more thing while I’m thinking about it I’ve been working on and off putting my mothers c2500 back together and I’m having a tough time getting the lower control arm back in we had to get a new one it got bent long story but my trouble is getting the holes to line up to slide the bolts back in anyone have any suggestions

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
One more thing while I’m thinking about it I’ve been working on and off putting my mothers c2500 back together and I’m having a tough time getting the lower control arm back in we had to get a new one it got bent long story but my trouble is getting the holes to line up to slide the bolts back in anyone have any suggestions

This should be in another post. When your control arm got bent, then your brackets to the control arm most likely got bent. Try putting the bolt in without the control arm. This will tell you if it is bent. if it is, I suggest a BFH or some heat to help straighten it.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
5.3s do NOT make more torque. Furthermore, a lot came stock with 4.8 pistons. I have one.

GM crate can't be beat it's like $2,000 with free shipping from Summit. I'd do that or stroke what you have. And learn some damn punctuation.

Engineer, not a English Major.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBI and Vortec are different cam styles, I'd just find a decent Vortec block instead of running the TBI block with the Vortec intake,
I'll probably run out to my mechanic sometime in the next couple days so I can try and grab his phone number then,

All Gen 1 small blocks were 1 pc rear main seal and hydraulic roller cam compatible since about 1987. TBI blocks also do not have the mechanical fuel pump pad opened up for a pushrod. The main differences between vortec and 1987-1995 non vortec blocks are easily nullified, GM even offers a kit to put hydraulic roller cams in 1987- 1995 blocks. Main difference is the heads and subsequent intake manifold. As far as vortec heads, EngineQuest makes a vortec replacement with more meat in critical areas to negate cracking issues with the originals for nearly the same amount of money as stock GM replacements or rebuilding originals. In the end there are numerous options.