Vortec motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry cowan

Reaction score
alright gentlemen I’ve been doing some research on replacement motors and am still unsure what to do I know crate motors arnt that much for a 350 but I’ve seen so many mixed reviews about them I’ve thought about finding a good block and trying to build it to the heads and put it in when my motor finally goes out pay someone to put it in anyone have any suggestions towards a crate motor or building one with any specific kits

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Top guys for any crate engines are going to be GMPP (GM Performance Parts), Jasper engines, Karl Performance, etc. etc; they all offer warranties and you can build an engine to a certain extent before you slam it in your truck. But be prepared to pay a little more going this route,

If you can find a good machine shop who can do the work to freshen up an engine for a decent price, I'd say go for it, really in the end it all depends on what you can afford.

Also, I see you're in Gastonia; Salisbury, NC here, good to see another NC member!

Barry cowan

Reaction score
Thanks man Salisbury’s not far from here you know anyone who does good machine work up that way I don’t really know to many people who do machine work like that or do you know by one that puts in crate motors up your way i still got some time truck runs ok gets a little smoke off the left bank and occasionally misses some on individual cylinders but I like it good daily for me

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Thanks man Salisbury’s not far from here you know anyone who does good machine work up that way I don’t really know to many people who do machine work like that or do you know by one that puts in crate motors up your way i still got some time truck runs ok gets a little smoke off the left bank and occasionally misses some on individual cylinders but I like it good daily for me

I've heard a few mixed reveiws about Kannapolis Engine Service and Poteat's Engines, they're both based outta Kannapolis/Landis; my mechanic knows a guy who does decent machine work just outside of China Grove I could probably get his number if you'd like;
I also know there's a few shops in Concord, Lexington, and Mooresville, I guess just google until you find a good one,

Barry cowan

Reaction score
I've heard a few mixed reveiws about Kannapolis Engine Service and Poteat's Engines, they're both based outta Kannapolis/Landis; my mechanic knows a guy who does decent machine work just outside of China Grove I could probably get his number if you'd like;
I also know there's a few shops in Concord, Lexington, and Mooresville, I guess just google until you find a good one,
Yeah if you don’t mind I’ll give him a call and see about how much he would charge and one more thing a tbi block should work to build back to a stock vortec motor right

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Yeah if you don’t mind I’ll give him a call and see about how much he would charge and one more thing a tbi block should work to build back to a stock vortec motor right

TBI and Vortec are different cam styles, I'd just find a decent Vortec block instead of running the TBI block with the Vortec intake,
I'll probably run out to my mechanic sometime in the next couple days so I can try and grab his phone number then,

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to beat the Gm crate vortec and warranty. I don't think you'll get through a machine shop for the same kind of $$. Getting quality machine work can be a problem and not all machinists are engine builders and vice/versa.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to beat the Gm crate vortec and warranty. I don't think you'll get through a machine shop for the same kind of $$. Getting quality machine work can be a problem and not all machinists are engine builders and vice/versa.

Seconded! I just put the L31 Vortec crate motor in my truck with a dual plane intake, 750 carb, and headers. Bone stock otherwise. Runs damn good and you can't beat the price.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Seconded! I just put the L31 Vortec crate motor in my truck with a dual plane intake, 750 carb, and headers. Bone stock otherwise. Runs damn good and you can't beat the price.

OOOOR, You can get a 5.3 with computer and get some 4.8 pistons with a cam and boom! you will have more torque and horsepower for a few bones.