Squealing from motor. Need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will1997

Reaction score
I have a 97 GMC C1500. Recently the truck went down for about a month with a bad cam sensor. When i finally got time to replace it and started the truck after about a month, it didnt want to start at first. However after giving it some gas it started and ran fine, minus a squealing noise coming from the drivers side front of the motor. I took the belt off and with it off the noise is still present. I got to looking around and noticed the intake id gunked with oil deposit, and the pcv valve was soaked in oil. I have a feeling that is not the issue, but would like any suggestions you may have.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

You'll need to narrow down the source of the noise since we're helping from a distance. Pulling the belt was a great first step, would have been my first suggestion.

Sometimes a squealing noise can be a vacuum leak (usually more of a whistle) and this can occasionally be a bad PCV valve.

A mechanic's stethoscope is a very inexpensive diagnostic tool, I'd recommend getting one and carefully poking around to see where the noise is coming from. Have a helper stand ready to shut the engine down quickly in case anything happens while you're checking.

Lisle Tool # 52750 is the one I'd suggest because it comes with two probes. One is a metal rod that helps amplify sounds when you touch them with it; the other is a cone or "horn" shape that helps amplify noises that it gets near. Under $25 and worth way more in terms of usefulness.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard