vacuum actuator convert to electric??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EDGECRUSHER

Reaction score
So it has been awhile since I had too fiddle with the actuator on my front axle but I always remembered it being vacuum. Well while researching how to fix it, I got caught up in upgrading the thermal type to the electric and I went out and ordered the actuator and harness to make that happen. I didn't find any threads mentioning the vacuum type so I regretfully disregarded my memory.
Now I have all the parts and brought half my toolbox into work today to do the swap in our warm garage, but when I look I see the vacuum unit. Dang it!.
It looks to be the same size thread so I'm wondering if there is some magic wiring that needs to be done to convert the vacuum actuator to the ate model electric motor driver unit. I'm not too familiar with how the vacuum gets it's signal and how that could be connected to this new harness for the thermal conversion?

Maybe I just need to rig a toggle switch on the dash now and bypass the vacuum system and switch coming out the transfer case?

If anyone could give me some quick help or insight whether this is possible I would appreciate it. I hope to get something done later after work but if it's not going to work at all I'd rather keep that new actuator clean so I can return it!

thanks
brian

EDGECRUSHER

Reaction score
it seems the only info on vacuum units is on S-10's which is a different system(pushbutton) with a cable. I don't have z cable. Must be this isn't so common on half ton 4X4's.

If I could only get the wiring diagram for the vacuum system and compare that to the newer driven electric system maybe I could get this to work. That is if the two actuators actually screw into the same hole in the first place.

look forward to hearing from someone charitable soon ;)

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I did the electric upgrade on my Burb,not sure what truck you have.The OEM was a thermal actuator on many GMT400s.If you do have a GMT400 with a thermal actuator here are the part #s to upgrade to an electric actuator(I used Dorman).You'll need the actuator & the wiring harness for it.

actuator 600-101
harness 600-600

There'll be instructions in the harness box on how to install it.

Last edited: