Thermal to electric front diff actuator wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 Silverado that I’m looking to upgrade the old thermal style front diff. actuator to the motorized one. I’ve got the wiring harness in hand but I’m curious if there’s a better location to splice the brown pigtail to, rather than on top of the transfer case. I can’t really get up there to make a clean splice

jamesdking

Reaction score
Researched this plenty this week and found this. Credit to Grube. Post is below in similar posts.

“Removed thermal actuator, cleaned threads, installed new spacer plug. Applied threadseal to new actuator and wind into housing and tightened. Went to plug the "plug and play" harness in, and the 2-pin plug that connected the old actuator was a different style. So I had to cut the plug pigtail off the old actuator, cut the plug end off the new harness, and splice the old pigtail onto the new harness with dual wall heat shrink connectors. After confirming the Blue wire was indeed power, and black was ground. The brown wire they suggest to run to 4-pin plug on top of tcase. Looked like P.I.T.A. to get at, so I ran the brown wire up to engine bay, over to driver side along top of firewall and through firewall under brake booster (hole drilled, rubber grommet installed). Once in cab, had to lengthen wire 10" (used red as I had no brown), and attached to the rightmost pin on the DRK GRN labelled connector under dash. This pin is powered by the 4WD 25amp fuse, and is key-on switched power.”