Usb ports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
This just popped in my head and the search only came up with one post. Anyways, cig lighter delete/usb install. I smoke but dont like usin the factory lighter unless my bic dies and hate losin 12v/usb adatpers. Is it as simple as just pulling out the factory 12v ports and splicing a usb port sized for the hole? Im only gonna use em for phones or maybe an emergency flashlight my old man got me for xmas last year. Plus if i have passengers they wont be able to steal my adapters or use the lighter.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This just popped in my head and the search only came up with one post. Anyways, cig lighter delete/usb install. I smoke but dont like usin the factory lighter unless my bic dies and hate losin 12v/usb adatpers. Is it as simple as just pulling out the factory 12v ports and splicing a usb port sized for the hole? Im only gonna use em for phones or maybe an emergency flashlight my old man got me for xmas last year. Plus if i have passengers they wont be able to steal my adapters or use the lighter.

I think that is pretty much all there is to it. Another good place to mount one would be in the blank where swiches would normally go unless you have switches there already. There is some nice real estate on that dash that could easily host a USB port.

Edit this unit is made for Toyota but looks like it would fit one of those sideways switch blanks almost perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1A-Car-C...714651&hash=item2881489e69:g:iY4AAOSwyNdfH6zl

Last edited:

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I think that is pretty much all there is to it. Another good place to mount one would be in the blank where swiches would normally go unless you have switches there already. There is some nice real estate on that dash that could easily host a USB port.

Got full stack there. Debatin on tryin to mod up some puddle lights later on n attach em to one of my fog switches. Ill probly leave the 12v in the rear of my esky console so i can run my Budweiser mini fridge out of it if i go campin with my friend next year.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Its always hot. Since the usb adapter has a step down transformer always running it would be depleting the battery. You may want to install a toggle switch or get power from an accessory ignition source.

Of course this might not be a problem if the truck never sits for a period of time. I recently thought I had a problem with my sierra since the battery was just about dead as dead can be. But I had a usb adapter plugged in and since I havent ran the truck since spring.... dead as dead can be. A manual battery charger got it going so my good dewalt charger could charge it up completely.

Al

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Its always hot. Since the usb adapter has a step down transformer always running it would be depleting the battery. You may want to install a toggle switch or get power from an accessory ignition source.

Of course this might not be a problem if the truck never sits for a period of time. I recently thought I had a problem with my sierra since the battery was just about dead as dead can be. But I had a usb adapter plugged in and since I havent ran the truck since spring.... dead as dead can be. A manual battery charger got it going so my good dewalt charger could charge it up completely.

Al

Thats probly what i was gonna do, hot in run or toggle.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have USB mounted in the cig lighter, and need to hook it up to my phone to use CarPlay with my stereo, but there isn't a good place for the phone to sit. I wonder if there is a kind of shelf that anyone has devised in the cig lighter/12V socket area that would hold a phone. For example, use the two 12v sockets are mounting holes for a shelf.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Shane, do you have the cd player delete cubby? Not that this is a very convenient spot for a phone since we cant see it. But that's where mine sits for now. I'm looking to permanently mount a tablet in my sierra when its relieved from farm use and finally running down the road. No ideas on that yet though.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane, do you have the cd player delete cubby? Not that this is a very convenient spot for a phone since we cant see it. But that's where mine sits for now. I'm looking to permanently mount a tablet in my sierra when its relieved from farm use and finally running down the road. No ideas on that yet though.
Yes, I do and I do put it there, but I also use my phone without a case and I don't like it rattling around in there. I am pulling the dash in a bit and I may line the cubby in a felt material or something.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was looking around and found these too, which support quick charging and USB-C. They also look like the face is a little smaller than the first ones I linked so the stock port covers might close all the way.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Compatible-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B08G1MS6JW

EDIT - These have an LED light in the USB ports though, so they'll probably drain your battery a little if you leave them plugged in all the time. The first ones I linked don't have any lighting so that shouldn't be an issue.